Animal fan wins rhino contest
Last updated at 14:51, Tuesday, 29 May 2012
MEGAN Richardson loves animals.
In fact, the only thing she loves almost as much as animals is Abbey House Hotel in Barrow.
So when Abbey House Hotel launched a “name the rhino” competition, was there ever any doubt Megan would win?
The 11-year-old won with her suggestion of Boris, which, she explains, is an acronym of “Barrow’s Own Rhino Is Special”.
But what ensured Megan’s victory – and secured her family tickets to their choice of event at the hotel – was an extra special touch.
“The front of the envelope even carried a first-class stamp of a black rhinoceros,” said the hotel’s business development and events manager Lyndsay Aspin.
Abbey House Hotel launched the competition after donating the fibreglass model to the students of St Bernard’s Catholic High School for decoration.
The finished product was able to join the rest of its herd in St Mary’s Church in Dalton before the Rhinotastic Rumpus was officially launched.
Megan’s proud mum, Vicki O’Neill, said her daughter had been fascinated with Abbey House Hotel for years.
She said: “My husband and I got married at Abbey House and ever since then she’s really loved it.
“She just loves animals and anything to do with animals, and she did this all by herself – she didn’t have any help.”
First published at 13:08, Tuesday, 29 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Mums turn tide in fight to keep vital Dalton aquanatal sessions afloat
- Dalton beer festival promises to be an ale and hearty affair (1 comment)
- South Cumbria primary school head’s homes plea rejected by planners
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
- Fundraising success on first night of Cumbria celebrity chef charity event
- Cumbria celebrity chef event ends with spectacular finale
- Police appeal after serious sexual offence in Dalton
- Dalton charity chef event aims to raise £100k
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
- Dalton Christmas Eve fireworks night pulls another cracker
Evening Mail homepage
Luscombe Plant Hire
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21