Animal fan wins rhino contest
Last updated at 14:51, Tuesday, 29 May 2012
MEGAN Richardson loves animals.
In fact, the only thing she loves almost as much as animals is Abbey House Hotel in Barrow.
So when Abbey House Hotel launched a “name the rhino” competition, was there ever any doubt Megan would win?
The 11-year-old won with her suggestion of Boris, which, she explains, is an acronym of “Barrow’s Own Rhino Is Special”.
But what ensured Megan’s victory – and secured her family tickets to their choice of event at the hotel – was an extra special touch.
“The front of the envelope even carried a first-class stamp of a black rhinoceros,” said the hotel’s business development and events manager Lyndsay Aspin.
Abbey House Hotel launched the competition after donating the fibreglass model to the students of St Bernard’s Catholic High School for decoration.
The finished product was able to join the rest of its herd in St Mary’s Church in Dalton before the Rhinotastic Rumpus was officially launched.
Megan’s proud mum, Vicki O’Neill, said her daughter had been fascinated with Abbey House Hotel for years.
She said: “My husband and I got married at Abbey House and ever since then she’s really loved it.
“She just loves animals and anything to do with animals, and she did this all by herself – she didn’t have any help.”
First published at 13:08, Tuesday, 29 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Dalton Christmas lights switch on
- Hundreds of people turn out to see Dalton's light switch on (3 comments)
- Teaching unions have hit out at the quick inspections of 16 Cumbria schools
- Replacement for Stuart Hyde former Cumbria deputy chief constable announced
- Two teenagers in court in Barrow tomorrow facing Dalton football club burglary charge
- Campaigners flying flag near A590 roundabout Cumbria to save Dalton fire station
- Team of young Dalton recyclers keep school grounds spick and span
- Big Clean campaign picks up in Dalton
- Dalton amputee attacked by Barrow ex in ‘nasty’ attack - court hears
- Dalton woman arrested and bailed in investigation into alleged fail to stop incident
- Cumbria families speak of anguish over Philippines typhoon horror
- Dalton firefighters’ ‘grave’ concerns over proposal to close station (2 comments)
- Dalton mayor's appeal to shed light on men who gave their lives (1 comment)
- Funds for children’s Christmas party taken in Dalton soccer club raid
- Dalton zoo’s latest big cat attraction is spot on
- Cumbria zoo free to visitors
- Thieves target Cumbria football club
- Fire boss grilled over future of Dalton fire station
- Machinery stolen from Dalton business
- Double celebration as Dalton playgroup undergoes revamp
- Dalton Woman is fined £300 after lying to police
- Former Dalton police station building sold off
- Prize giving results from Dowdales School in Dalton
- Dalton zoo keeper takes on challenge of a lifetime to help penguin plight (3 comments)
- Third Dalton nursing home resident joins the Queen’s 100 club
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Family Notices
- Competition rules
- Advertise with us
- Reader Travel
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans