Animal fan wins rhino contest
Last updated at 14:51, Tuesday, 29 May 2012
MEGAN Richardson loves animals.
In fact, the only thing she loves almost as much as animals is Abbey House Hotel in Barrow.
So when Abbey House Hotel launched a “name the rhino” competition, was there ever any doubt Megan would win?
The 11-year-old won with her suggestion of Boris, which, she explains, is an acronym of “Barrow’s Own Rhino Is Special”.
But what ensured Megan’s victory – and secured her family tickets to their choice of event at the hotel – was an extra special touch.
“The front of the envelope even carried a first-class stamp of a black rhinoceros,” said the hotel’s business development and events manager Lyndsay Aspin.
Abbey House Hotel launched the competition after donating the fibreglass model to the students of St Bernard’s Catholic High School for decoration.
The finished product was able to join the rest of its herd in St Mary’s Church in Dalton before the Rhinotastic Rumpus was officially launched.
Megan’s proud mum, Vicki O’Neill, said her daughter had been fascinated with Abbey House Hotel for years.
She said: “My husband and I got married at Abbey House and ever since then she’s really loved it.
“She just loves animals and anything to do with animals, and she did this all by herself – she didn’t have any help.”
First published at 13:08, Tuesday, 29 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Barrow council prosecutes in connection with zoo keeper death
- Business prosecuted in connection with zoo keeper killed by tiger
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open (1 comment)
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Deserving families enjoy Dreamnight adventure at South Lakes Safari Zoo (1 comment)
- Dalton girl is wheelie pleased after company buys her adapted trike
- Police investigate two Dalton burglaries - including car abandoned in Barrow (8 comments)
- Sterling effort to make Dalton artist face of £20 note (2 comments)
- Proud Dalton mum to help daughter get on her bike
- Dalton residents to share their vision for town’s future (1 comment)
- SLIDESHOW: South Cumbria pub's beer festival hailed as a success (2 comments)
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (18 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Cumberland pig bred to restart extinct breed is infertile
- MAN JAILED FOR HARASSING FORMER GIRLFRIEND
- Carlisle man convicted of conning cash from multi-millionaire
- Eatery worker could go to jail
- Abuse man fined £100
- Dalton Carnival
- MAN KILLED AS HE LAY ON ROAD
- Maryport man found hanged in cell
- Cricket rivals ready for big bash at Furness CC
- Surprise wedding for Barrow couple (1 comment)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22