Armed police involved in three-hour Dalton siege
Last updated at 17:11, Wednesday, 09 January 2013
TWO streets in Dalton were cordoned off by police after fears were raised about a man with a weapon.
Police were called to a flat in Broughton Road at 2.30pm yesterday after receiving reports of an alleged assault.
Officers said they had been made aware of concerns the man may have had access to a weapon inside the property.
At least six armed police officers and trained negotiators were called to the scene, close to The Bridge Inn at the junction of William Close, while a large uniformed police presence put a cordon in place around 500 yards from the property and told residents to remain indoors for their own safety.
Vehicles were stopped from going along Broughton Road in both directions, which caused delays to cars travelling through Dalton town centre.
Some residents took to Facebook to describe the situation.
Jane Wilson wrote on the Evening Mail’s page: “Can’t get out yet. It’s going on next door to us, in the flats.”
After a three-hour stand off, police had arrested one man and said the situation had come to a safe resolution. No weapon was recovered from the flat.
Temporary Chief Inspector Mike O’Hagan, of Barrow police, told the Evening Mail: “Police were called to a flat in Broughton Road after allegations of an assault and following concerns a man may have had access to a weapon.
“The property was cordoned off and armed officers were in attendance as a precaution.
“One male was arrested on suspicion of assault and no weapons were recovered.”
First published at 16:08, Wednesday, 09 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!