Askam aim to topple Bridge in double bid
Last updated at 16:17, Friday, 30 November 2012
CHAIRMAN Robbie Braithwaite has been delighted with Askam United’s performances of late.
After a run of poor form which saw them lose twice and draw one, Askam bounced back with two cracking results.
The villagers are riding high in West Lancs Division Two and the club chairman has already got one eye on promotion.
“We want to be up there challenging,” he said.
The secret behind the success, he believes, is the fact that a group of the players have matured together over the year, with Askam now reaping the fruits of their labour.
That, coupled with the hard work put in by manager Neil Park, sees Askam now sitting fourth in the table.
After their 11-2 thrashing of rivals Walney Island and a great 1-0 win at Whinney Hill, Askam will be looking to complete a league double over tomorrow’s visitors Ladybridge.
Park’s men scored a 2-1 victory on their visit to Ladybridge in September, but Braithwaite doesn’t feel that result reflected the dominance his side enjoyed in the game.
“We played well that day. We created chance after chance but we didn’t put enough away,” said Braithwaite.
Askam found themselves without a game last week, but Braithwaite said of their win over Whinney Hill: “We needed it. I know we had that good win against Walney, but our form had been dipping badly last month so those two results have just perked us up a little bit.”
While Braithwaite gave plaudits to his side, he would like to see the team tighten up in defence.
“I think we have only had two clean sheets all season, that tells its own story,” he added.
Askam are the league’s highest scorers, having rattled in 45 so far this campaign.
Both Callum Rayner and Kyle Jefferson have each found the net on nine occasions, with Kevin Edwards just two goals behind.
Askam’s latest victims are at home to GSK Ulverston Rangers with the visitors hoping to return to winning ways after losing a close contest 1-0 at Kendal County.
Barrow Wanderers are also on their travels and go to high-riding Bolton County.
Meanwhile Walney Island take a break from league action, hoping the weather will smile kindly upon them as they face Croston Sports in round one of the Challenge Cup, with the tie having previously been postponed.
Walney will be going into the match with some confidence after their recent 5-1 victory over Milnthorpe Corinthians, with Jordan Brough again on target with a hat-trick, bringing his tally for the season so far to 14.
In Division One, Hawcoat Park entertain Haslingden St Mary’s, while Millom will be hoping to find their second league win of the season, but face a tough fixture at Hesketh Bank.
Furness Rovers, winners of a dramatic shootout against Dalton United last week to move into the second round of the Presidents Cup, are back in league action and travel to second-placed Wyre Villa.
Crooklands Casuals and Vickerstown take a rest from Premier Division action tomorrow with both teams featuring in round one of the Richardson Cup.
Cassies defeated 3-0 at Coppull United in the league last week, and travel to fifth-placed Fleetwood Hesketh with Vickerstown entertaining mid-table rivals Euxton Villa.
Holker Old Boys progressed to the second round of the North West Counties First Division Trophy after a 3-1 win over Irlam last week, with goals from Danny Keenan, Mike Kewley and Guy Heffernan.
They return to league action tomorrow looking to score their fifth league victory when they entertain Daisy Hill, who sit on the bottom rung of the table, at Rakesmoor Lane.
First published at 16:12, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Dalton news
- Markets failure is blow to Dalton renewal hopes
- Cumbria man is jailed for sex offence with child
- Four generations celebrate Dalton motor man’s 100th birthday
- Date set for Dalton zoo death inquest
- Curfew for Dalton man who spat at bar manager (2 comments)
- Dalton garden centre boss goes back to early roots
- Ceremony to mark new Askam library Saturday openings
- Police probe Dalton zoo owner’s gay marriage comments (132 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss provokes outrage with ‘same sex’ comments (70 comments)
- Date for repair work completion revealed at Dalton sports hall
- Hundreds join mission to make Barrow girl’s Disney dream come true
- Barrow Street dealers’ mission ends in prison term
- Dalton Rugby Club wins kit contest with top tactics
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Illegal Dalton parkers face spot fines (8 comments)
- Dalton police appealing for witnesses after car fled from the scene of a smash (1 comment)
- Baby giraffe injured at Cumbria zoo
- Cumbria Fire Crew’s anger at pay-off options
- Former Dalton pupils gather from near and far for reunion
- Power firm boss to give former Dalton police station new lease of life
- Dalton charity spectacular soars past £30k mark
- Dalton fire crew among those called to blaze at Barrow flat
- Bidders splash the cash in Dalton Valentine’s date auction
- ‘Lives may be at risk’ as Dalton fire station faces closure (5 comments)
- Dalton pupils go all out for Wizard of Oz show
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
- Not your average Joe
- Being a sex symbol is funny
- Police hunt Ulverston graffiti artist (6 comments)
- Happy ancestral home Mr President?
- Keeping the town safe from fire for decades
- Dowdales School prom
- Lakes woman smashes water speed records
- Dalton baseball bat dad told gang: ‘Come on then’ (9 comments)
- Multimillion pound plans for Barrow police station unveiled (36 comments)
- Dalton Carnival queen is crowned