Bernie’s TV fame
Published at 00:00, Tuesday, 27 February 2007
FORGET He-Man, Bernie Cooper plans on being the real Master of the Universe.
While most 60-year-olds are planning their retirement, the Dalton bodybuilder is pumping iron to take on the world.
And the musclebound gym owner is all set to start a new career as a TV star while he does it.
Tonight the Mr Universe winner will be the subject of BBC1 documentary One Life. He was also due to appear as guest on ITV’s This Morning today.
Bernie also had a page of pictures and an interview in top UK gossip magazine Closer this week.
The well-known Dalton fitness guru also had his physique and age discussed at length by the panel on ITV’s Loose Women on Thursday lunchtime.
The documentary is to be screened tonight at 10.35pm and features elderly bodybuilders, male and female, who look decades younger than their 60-plus years.
They still head down the gym to pump iron and show off their gravity defying bodies on the stage as they compete for the top prize.
Last year Bernie became Mr Universe, winning the National Amateur Bodybuilding Association over-50s title in Southport.
He beat competitors from the UK, Germany, Australia, Mexico, Holland, Brazil and Poland.
He and his wife Linda, run Bernie’s Gym in Chapel Street, Dalton.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (17 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
- Mums turn tide in fight to keep vital Dalton aquanatal sessions afloat
- Dalton beer festival promises to be an ale and hearty affair (1 comment)
- South Cumbria primary school head’s homes plea rejected by planners
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs