Bernie’s TV fame
Published at 00:00, Tuesday, 27 February 2007
FORGET He-Man, Bernie Cooper plans on being the real Master of the Universe.
While most 60-year-olds are planning their retirement, the Dalton bodybuilder is pumping iron to take on the world.
And the musclebound gym owner is all set to start a new career as a TV star while he does it.
Tonight the Mr Universe winner will be the subject of BBC1 documentary One Life. He was also due to appear as guest on ITV’s This Morning today.
Bernie also had a page of pictures and an interview in top UK gossip magazine Closer this week.
The well-known Dalton fitness guru also had his physique and age discussed at length by the panel on ITV’s Loose Women on Thursday lunchtime.
The documentary is to be screened tonight at 10.35pm and features elderly bodybuilders, male and female, who look decades younger than their 60-plus years.
They still head down the gym to pump iron and show off their gravity defying bodies on the stage as they compete for the top prize.
Last year Bernie became Mr Universe, winning the National Amateur Bodybuilding Association over-50s title in Southport.
He beat competitors from the UK, Germany, Australia, Mexico, Holland, Brazil and Poland.
He and his wife Linda, run Bernie’s Gym in Chapel Street, Dalton.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
- Fundraising success on first night of Cumbria celebrity chef charity event
- Cumbria celebrity chef event ends with spectacular finale
- Police appeal after serious sexual offence in Dalton
- Dalton charity chef event aims to raise £100k
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
- Dalton Christmas Eve fireworks night pulls another cracker
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (11 comments)
- Dalton St Mary’s Christingle (1 comment)
- Dalton NatWest branch set to close (5 comments)
- Hundreds celebrate Dalton Christmas lights switch on
- Cold war nuclear crash may have caused Dalton man’s cancer (1 comment)
- Dalton Zoo boss guilty of allowing birds to escape
- ‘Family spat’ probably led to Dalton monkey escape (1 comment)
- Dalton is named one of the best places for families
- Smurfs spotted out and about on Dalton school’s sponsored stroll