Bernie’s TV fame
Published at 00:00, Tuesday, 27 February 2007
FORGET He-Man, Bernie Cooper plans on being the real Master of the Universe.
While most 60-year-olds are planning their retirement, the Dalton bodybuilder is pumping iron to take on the world.
And the musclebound gym owner is all set to start a new career as a TV star while he does it.
Tonight the Mr Universe winner will be the subject of BBC1 documentary One Life. He was also due to appear as guest on ITV’s This Morning today.
Bernie also had a page of pictures and an interview in top UK gossip magazine Closer this week.
The well-known Dalton fitness guru also had his physique and age discussed at length by the panel on ITV’s Loose Women on Thursday lunchtime.
The documentary is to be screened tonight at 10.35pm and features elderly bodybuilders, male and female, who look decades younger than their 60-plus years.
They still head down the gym to pump iron and show off their gravity defying bodies on the stage as they compete for the top prize.
Last year Bernie became Mr Universe, winning the National Amateur Bodybuilding Association over-50s title in Southport.
He beat competitors from the UK, Germany, Australia, Mexico, Holland, Brazil and Poland.
He and his wife Linda, run Bernie’s Gym in Chapel Street, Dalton.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Barrow council prosecutes in connection with zoo keeper death
- Business prosecuted in connection with zoo keeper killed by tiger
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open (1 comment)
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Deserving families enjoy Dreamnight adventure at South Lakes Safari Zoo (1 comment)
- Dalton girl is wheelie pleased after company buys her adapted trike
- Police investigate two Dalton burglaries - including car abandoned in Barrow (8 comments)
- Sterling effort to make Dalton artist face of £20 note (2 comments)
- Proud Dalton mum to help daughter get on her bike
- Dalton residents to share their vision for town’s future (1 comment)
- SLIDESHOW: South Cumbria pub's beer festival hailed as a success (2 comments)
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (18 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Opening date for first phase of Carlisle Airport redevelopment
- Special training for land contamination
- Obituary - Max De Redder, of Gilcrux
- Damage trial
- Should the court system be bypassed for some offences?
- Testing smells at West Cumbria factory (4 comments)
- Lack of funding puts cable car scheme on hold
- Maryport music festival raised £1,500
- No title
- Dalton businessman tells Ulverston: "We'll have your supermarket if you don't want it." (14 comments)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22