Bernie’s TV fame
Published at 00:00, Tuesday, 27 February 2007
FORGET He-Man, Bernie Cooper plans on being the real Master of the Universe.
While most 60-year-olds are planning their retirement, the Dalton bodybuilder is pumping iron to take on the world.
And the musclebound gym owner is all set to start a new career as a TV star while he does it.
Tonight the Mr Universe winner will be the subject of BBC1 documentary One Life. He was also due to appear as guest on ITV’s This Morning today.
Bernie also had a page of pictures and an interview in top UK gossip magazine Closer this week.
The well-known Dalton fitness guru also had his physique and age discussed at length by the panel on ITV’s Loose Women on Thursday lunchtime.
The documentary is to be screened tonight at 10.35pm and features elderly bodybuilders, male and female, who look decades younger than their 60-plus years.
They still head down the gym to pump iron and show off their gravity defying bodies on the stage as they compete for the top prize.
Last year Bernie became Mr Universe, winning the National Amateur Bodybuilding Association over-50s title in Southport.
He beat competitors from the UK, Germany, Australia, Mexico, Holland, Brazil and Poland.
He and his wife Linda, run Bernie’s Gym in Chapel Street, Dalton.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Barrow man due in court charged with drunken conduct in Dalton
- Markets failure is blow to Dalton renewal hopes
- Cumbria man is jailed for sex offence with child
- Four generations celebrate Dalton motor man’s 100th birthday
- Date set for Dalton zoo death inquest
- Curfew for Dalton man who spat at bar manager (2 comments)
- Dalton garden centre boss goes back to early roots
- Ceremony to mark new Askam library Saturday openings
- Police probe Dalton zoo owner’s gay marriage comments (132 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss provokes outrage with ‘same sex’ comments (70 comments)
- Date for repair work completion revealed at Dalton sports hall
- Hundreds join mission to make Barrow girl’s Disney dream come true
- Barrow Street dealers’ mission ends in prison term
- Dalton Rugby Club wins kit contest with top tactics
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Illegal Dalton parkers face spot fines (8 comments)
- Dalton police appealing for witnesses after car fled from the scene of a smash (1 comment)
- Baby giraffe injured at Cumbria zoo
- Cumbria Fire Crew’s anger at pay-off options
- Former Dalton pupils gather from near and far for reunion
- Power firm boss to give former Dalton police station new lease of life
- Dalton charity spectacular soars past £30k mark
- Dalton fire crew among those called to blaze at Barrow flat
- Bidders splash the cash in Dalton Valentine’s date auction
- ‘Lives may be at risk’ as Dalton fire station faces closure (5 comments)
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans