Carlisle Utd sign Matty Robson on two-year deal
Last updated at 13:41, Tuesday, 30 June 2009
Matty Robson this afternoon became Carlisle United’s third summer signing after the winger penned a two-year deal with the Blues.
The 24-year-old left winger has joined United on a free after leaving their League One rivals Hartlepool United at the end of last season.
Carlisle beat off competition from Swindon for Robson’s signature and it brings an end to boss Greg Abbott’s search for a left winger following Simon Hackney’s £100,000 move to Colchester United in the January transfer window.
Abbott, who has already signed former Leeds United and Levante defender Ian Harte and Workington Reds keeper Adam Collin, had a left winger on his radar after releasing Jeff Smith and Lewis Neal at the end of the season.
Robson will meet his new team-mates for the first time when United’s players report for pre-season training at Brunton Park tomorrow.
The pacy winger had talks with Swindon’s former Pools boss Danny Wilson about a possible switch to the Wiltshire club, but is relishing the opportunity to stay in the north.
Robson said: “I’m glad to finally get it all sorted and I’m looking forward to getting started tomorrow.
“It’s been a frustrating wait but I am very relieved now. I can’t wait for the challenge ahead.”
After coming through the ranks at Victoria Park, he made 170 appearances for Pools since making his debut as a 17-year-old in the 2002/3 campaign, scoring 10 goals.
The set-piece expert was a regular down the left wing last season as Chris Turner steered the north-east side to safety in League One, and was a big favourite with fans.
He has also filled in at left-back in previous seasons at Victoria Park, and his versatility will be an added bonus for Carlisle.
First published at 13:27, Tuesday, 30 June 2009
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Markets failure is blow to Dalton renewal hopes
- Cumbria man is jailed for sex offence with child
- Four generations celebrate Dalton motor man’s 100th birthday
- Date set for Dalton zoo death inquest
- Curfew for Dalton man who spat at bar manager (2 comments)
- Dalton garden centre boss goes back to early roots
- Ceremony to mark new Askam library Saturday openings
- Police probe Dalton zoo owner’s gay marriage comments (132 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss provokes outrage with ‘same sex’ comments (70 comments)
- Date for repair work completion revealed at Dalton sports hall
- Hundreds join mission to make Barrow girl’s Disney dream come true
- Barrow Street dealers’ mission ends in prison term
- Dalton Rugby Club wins kit contest with top tactics
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Illegal Dalton parkers face spot fines (8 comments)
- Dalton police appealing for witnesses after car fled from the scene of a smash (1 comment)
- Baby giraffe injured at Cumbria zoo
- Cumbria Fire Crew’s anger at pay-off options
- Former Dalton pupils gather from near and far for reunion
- Power firm boss to give former Dalton police station new lease of life
- Dalton charity spectacular soars past £30k mark
- Dalton fire crew among those called to blaze at Barrow flat
- Bidders splash the cash in Dalton Valentine’s date auction
- ‘Lives may be at risk’ as Dalton fire station faces closure (5 comments)
- Dalton pupils go all out for Wizard of Oz show
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans