Carlisle Utd sign Matty Robson on two-year deal
Last updated at 13:41, Tuesday, 30 June 2009
Matty Robson this afternoon became Carlisle United’s third summer signing after the winger penned a two-year deal with the Blues.
The 24-year-old left winger has joined United on a free after leaving their League One rivals Hartlepool United at the end of last season.
Carlisle beat off competition from Swindon for Robson’s signature and it brings an end to boss Greg Abbott’s search for a left winger following Simon Hackney’s £100,000 move to Colchester United in the January transfer window.
Abbott, who has already signed former Leeds United and Levante defender Ian Harte and Workington Reds keeper Adam Collin, had a left winger on his radar after releasing Jeff Smith and Lewis Neal at the end of the season.
Robson will meet his new team-mates for the first time when United’s players report for pre-season training at Brunton Park tomorrow.
The pacy winger had talks with Swindon’s former Pools boss Danny Wilson about a possible switch to the Wiltshire club, but is relishing the opportunity to stay in the north.
Robson said: “I’m glad to finally get it all sorted and I’m looking forward to getting started tomorrow.
“It’s been a frustrating wait but I am very relieved now. I can’t wait for the challenge ahead.”
After coming through the ranks at Victoria Park, he made 170 appearances for Pools since making his debut as a 17-year-old in the 2002/3 campaign, scoring 10 goals.
The set-piece expert was a regular down the left wing last season as Chris Turner steered the north-east side to safety in League One, and was a big favourite with fans.
He has also filled in at left-back in previous seasons at Victoria Park, and his versatility will be an added bonus for Carlisle.
First published at 13:27, Tuesday, 30 June 2009
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
- Fundraising success on first night of Cumbria celebrity chef charity event
- Cumbria celebrity chef event ends with spectacular finale
- Police appeal after serious sexual offence in Dalton
- Dalton charity chef event aims to raise £100k
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
- Dalton Christmas Eve fireworks night pulls another cracker
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (11 comments)
- Dalton St Mary’s Christingle (1 comment)
- Dalton NatWest branch set to close (5 comments)
- Hundreds celebrate Dalton Christmas lights switch on
- Cold war nuclear crash may have caused Dalton man’s cancer (1 comment)
- Dalton Zoo boss guilty of allowing birds to escape
- ‘Family spat’ probably led to Dalton monkey escape (1 comment)
- Dalton is named one of the best places for families