Carlisle Utd sign Matty Robson on two-year deal
Last updated at 13:41, Tuesday, 30 June 2009
Matty Robson this afternoon became Carlisle United’s third summer signing after the winger penned a two-year deal with the Blues.
The 24-year-old left winger has joined United on a free after leaving their League One rivals Hartlepool United at the end of last season.
Carlisle beat off competition from Swindon for Robson’s signature and it brings an end to boss Greg Abbott’s search for a left winger following Simon Hackney’s £100,000 move to Colchester United in the January transfer window.
Abbott, who has already signed former Leeds United and Levante defender Ian Harte and Workington Reds keeper Adam Collin, had a left winger on his radar after releasing Jeff Smith and Lewis Neal at the end of the season.
Robson will meet his new team-mates for the first time when United’s players report for pre-season training at Brunton Park tomorrow.
The pacy winger had talks with Swindon’s former Pools boss Danny Wilson about a possible switch to the Wiltshire club, but is relishing the opportunity to stay in the north.
Robson said: “I’m glad to finally get it all sorted and I’m looking forward to getting started tomorrow.
“It’s been a frustrating wait but I am very relieved now. I can’t wait for the challenge ahead.”
After coming through the ranks at Victoria Park, he made 170 appearances for Pools since making his debut as a 17-year-old in the 2002/3 campaign, scoring 10 goals.
The set-piece expert was a regular down the left wing last season as Chris Turner steered the north-east side to safety in League One, and was a big favourite with fans.
He has also filled in at left-back in previous seasons at Victoria Park, and his versatility will be an added bonus for Carlisle.
First published at 13:27, Tuesday, 30 June 2009
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (17 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
- Mums turn tide in fight to keep vital Dalton aquanatal sessions afloat
- Dalton beer festival promises to be an ale and hearty affair (1 comment)
- South Cumbria primary school head’s homes plea rejected by planners
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs