Cumbria rally ace Wilson targets Spain after Wales success
Last updated at 22:04, Thursday, 20 September 2012
CUMBRIA rally driver Matthew Wilson hopes he can raise the budget to compete in the Rally of Spain after his impressive return to action with a top-eight finish at Wales Rally GB.
Wilson and co-driver Scott Martin made their first appearance in nine months after attracting sponsorship from several organisations in Cumbria. Their Ford Fiesta RS World Rally car boasts a striking new colour scheme to publicise their new backers, including Invest In Cumbria and Wilson’s dad Malcolm Wilson’s M-Sport Ford World Rally operation, who run the car from their Dovenby Hall headquarters.
Piloting their Ford Fiesta RS WRC to a seventh and eighth fastest time through the opening morning’s tests of the three-day event, they were well on course for a top-10 finish. Then when team-mate Ott Tänak was forced to retire from the event, Wilson claimed eighth place overall on his first gravel event of the season.
But his participation in the Rally of Spain, starting on November 8, is now in doubt unless he can raise more sponsorship. The Cockermouth driver is also hoping to put together a financial package to be able to compete in most of the World Rally Championship rounds next year.
Wilson said: “It was fantastic to be back – I really enjoyed every bit of it. It was brilliant fun.
“I definitely want to be back for Spain and I will be trying as hard as I can to get there, but we will just have to wait and see.”
Jari-Matti Latvala and Miikka Anttila won Wales Rally GB for the second consecutive season for the Dovenby Hall-based Ford team.
*FRESH from his Wales Rally GB success Matthew Wilson is the in-Cumbria newsletter guest editor on Friday (September 21). Sign up for the newsletter at in-Cumbria.com to read his views.
First published at 11:33, Friday, 14 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Dalton news
- Barrow council prosecutes in connection with zoo keeper death
- Business prosecuted in connection with zoo keeper killed by tiger
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open (1 comment)
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Deserving families enjoy Dreamnight adventure at South Lakes Safari Zoo (1 comment)
- Dalton girl is wheelie pleased after company buys her adapted trike
- Police investigate two Dalton burglaries - including car abandoned in Barrow (8 comments)
- Sterling effort to make Dalton artist face of £20 note (2 comments)
- Proud Dalton mum to help daughter get on her bike
- Dalton residents to share their vision for town’s future (1 comment)
- SLIDESHOW: South Cumbria pub's beer festival hailed as a success (2 comments)
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (18 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Cumberland pig bred to restart extinct breed is infertile
- MAN JAILED FOR HARASSING FORMER GIRLFRIEND
- Carlisle man convicted of conning cash from multi-millionaire
- Eatery worker could go to jail
- Abuse man fined £100
- Dalton Carnival
- MAN KILLED AS HE LAY ON ROAD
- Cricket rivals ready for big bash at Furness CC
- Killer has gun conviction quashed by Appeal Court judges
- News round-up
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22