Cumbria rally ace Wilson targets Spain after Wales success
Last updated at 22:04, Thursday, 20 September 2012
CUMBRIA rally driver Matthew Wilson hopes he can raise the budget to compete in the Rally of Spain after his impressive return to action with a top-eight finish at Wales Rally GB.
Wilson and co-driver Scott Martin made their first appearance in nine months after attracting sponsorship from several organisations in Cumbria. Their Ford Fiesta RS World Rally car boasts a striking new colour scheme to publicise their new backers, including Invest In Cumbria and Wilson’s dad Malcolm Wilson’s M-Sport Ford World Rally operation, who run the car from their Dovenby Hall headquarters.
Piloting their Ford Fiesta RS WRC to a seventh and eighth fastest time through the opening morning’s tests of the three-day event, they were well on course for a top-10 finish. Then when team-mate Ott Tänak was forced to retire from the event, Wilson claimed eighth place overall on his first gravel event of the season.
But his participation in the Rally of Spain, starting on November 8, is now in doubt unless he can raise more sponsorship. The Cockermouth driver is also hoping to put together a financial package to be able to compete in most of the World Rally Championship rounds next year.
Wilson said: “It was fantastic to be back – I really enjoyed every bit of it. It was brilliant fun.
“I definitely want to be back for Spain and I will be trying as hard as I can to get there, but we will just have to wait and see.”
Jari-Matti Latvala and Miikka Anttila won Wales Rally GB for the second consecutive season for the Dovenby Hall-based Ford team.
*FRESH from his Wales Rally GB success Matthew Wilson is the in-Cumbria newsletter guest editor on Friday (September 21). Sign up for the newsletter at in-Cumbria.com to read his views.
First published at 11:33, Friday, 14 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Dalton news
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (3 comments)
- Dalton St Mary’s Christingle (1 comment)
- Dalton NatWest branch set to close (5 comments)
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- Hundreds celebrate Dalton Christmas lights switch on
- Cold war nuclear crash may have caused Dalton man’s cancer (1 comment)
- Dalton Zoo boss guilty of allowing birds to escape
- ‘Family spat’ probably led to Dalton monkey escape (1 comment)
- Dalton is named one of the best places for families
- Smurfs spotted out and about on Dalton school’s sponsored stroll
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Shoplifter caught in Dalton with £500 admitted money laundering
- Legal error results in Dalton zoo chief facing wrong charges (1 comment)
- Man shattered window in Dalton after row with his ex
- Dalton family’s distress after raiders stole ‘irreplaceable’ jewellery
- Tributes to 'witty and lovely' Dalton man who died a month after transplant (1 comment)
- Cumbria Police investigate burglary in Dalton
- Dalton schoolgirl suffers broken foot following collision with vehicle
- Dalton hotel set to reopen after gas canister explosion in kitchen (2 comments)
- Naked men seen walking through Dalton (15 comments)
- Dalton zoo is handed series of new conditions after inspection
- Council hits back in Dalton zoo tiger feeding row (45 comments)
- Dalton fire station sold to highest bidder for £130,000 (1 comment)
- Dalton Leisure centre full steam ahead after grant for boilers
- Dalton man pleads not guilty to dangerous driving