Cumbria rally ace Wilson targets Spain after Wales success
Last updated at 22:04, Thursday, 20 September 2012
CUMBRIA rally driver Matthew Wilson hopes he can raise the budget to compete in the Rally of Spain after his impressive return to action with a top-eight finish at Wales Rally GB.
Wilson and co-driver Scott Martin made their first appearance in nine months after attracting sponsorship from several organisations in Cumbria. Their Ford Fiesta RS World Rally car boasts a striking new colour scheme to publicise their new backers, including Invest In Cumbria and Wilson’s dad Malcolm Wilson’s M-Sport Ford World Rally operation, who run the car from their Dovenby Hall headquarters.
Piloting their Ford Fiesta RS WRC to a seventh and eighth fastest time through the opening morning’s tests of the three-day event, they were well on course for a top-10 finish. Then when team-mate Ott Tänak was forced to retire from the event, Wilson claimed eighth place overall on his first gravel event of the season.
But his participation in the Rally of Spain, starting on November 8, is now in doubt unless he can raise more sponsorship. The Cockermouth driver is also hoping to put together a financial package to be able to compete in most of the World Rally Championship rounds next year.
Wilson said: “It was fantastic to be back – I really enjoyed every bit of it. It was brilliant fun.
“I definitely want to be back for Spain and I will be trying as hard as I can to get there, but we will just have to wait and see.”
Jari-Matti Latvala and Miikka Anttila won Wales Rally GB for the second consecutive season for the Dovenby Hall-based Ford team.
*FRESH from his Wales Rally GB success Matthew Wilson is the in-Cumbria newsletter guest editor on Friday (September 21). Sign up for the newsletter at in-Cumbria.com to read his views.
First published at 11:33, Friday, 14 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Dalton news
- Cumbria Council warns of ‘premature’ use of quarry as a landfill site
- Dalton site suggested for Sainsbury’s store (11 comments)
- Cumbria County Council election
- Eight years for arsonists who torched Dalton beach kiosk for thrills (33 comments)
- Young Dalton storytellers do school proud with competition entries
- Drive to nurture Furness youngsters’ interest in growing their own
- Brave Dalton woman spreads message of hope (2 comments)
- Hunt is on for Barrow bellringers
- Delight for Dalton couple after competition win
- South Lakes farm making neighbours’ lives a nightmare - claim (5 comments)
- Police issue security alert after Dalton break-in
- Cumbria magician conjures up competition win (1 comment)
- Plan for wind turbine at Furness landfill site sparks toxic waste worries
- Man stole food from Dalton shop, despite having £500 cash
- Dalton zoo lemur babies have spring in their step
- Power cuts affect several Dalton streets
- Furness challenge night helps curry fans satisfy burning ambition
- Bed-ridden Dalton stroke victim sickened by theft by own sister (5 comments)
- Dalton pupils hone sports leadership skills
- Cumbria police and crime commissioner opens new Dalton police station
- Tragic Dalton farm worker’s widow tells of ordeal
- Dalton woman, 49, falsely claimed £30k in disability benefits
- Dalton Drill Hall’s upgrade takes another leap forward
- Dalton greengrocers hailed as cooking event raises £35k for charities (1 comment)
- Dalton litter crusade goes on
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Nine in court after Cumbria police drug probes
- Dalton Carnival 2012
- Call for £500 fine for leaving muck (6 comments)
- Dalton zoo granted planning permission for expansion (44 comments)
- Names found for the classmates of 1952
- Plea to stop using lanterns on Walney (4 comments)
- Dalton businessman tells Ulverston: "We'll have your supermarket if you don't want it." (14 comments)
- Dalton Medieval Fair 2008
- MEDALLION MAN
- Bernie’s TV fame