Dalton bodybuilder arrested in Germany on drug charges
Last updated at 16:37, Friday, 11 January 2013
A VETERAN bodybuilder and Furness gym owner has been arrested while abroad on suspicion of smuggling drugs.
Bernie Cooper was arrested in Bavaria, in south west Germany, on Monday on suspicion of attempting to smuggle drugs, the Evening Mail understands.
A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: “We can confirm the arrest of a British national on January 7 in Bavaria.”
The spokesman added the Foreign Office would provide Mr Cooper with consular assistance should he require it.
Mr Cooper owns Bernie’s Gym, in Chapel Street, Dalton, where he has helped coach and advise countless people get into shape and pursue bodybuilding.
During his decorated career in the sport, he has continually defeated men many years his junior to win a raft of titles.
He reached a national audience in 2007 when he featured on the BBC television programme Bodybuilding Pensioners – a documentary which focused on senior citizens who live for working out and competing in contests.
The Evening Mail reported in October 2006 how Mr Cooper achieved his ultimate ambition by being crowned Mr Universe, when he was filmed for the same documentary.
Aged 60 at the time, he landed the National Amateur Bodybuilding Association’s over-50s title at that event, held in Southport, beating competitors from the UK, Germany, Australia, Mexico, Holland, Brazil and Poland with a unanimous decision from the seven judges.
He told the Evening Mail at the time: “This is my best ever achievement in bodybuilding. Mr Universe is the ultimate prize in this sport.
“It’s like winning an Olympic medal, it’s that kind of standard.
“Only one other guy from the UK has ever won it in this age category before, that was two years ago.”
Among the other numerous accolades to his name, Mr Cooper has been crowned Mr Cumbria, World Champion and won gold in the Commonwealth Championships.
First published at 16:34, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
- Fundraising success on first night of Cumbria celebrity chef charity event
- Cumbria celebrity chef event ends with spectacular finale
- Police appeal after serious sexual offence in Dalton
- Dalton charity chef event aims to raise £100k
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
- Dalton Christmas Eve fireworks night pulls another cracker
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (11 comments)
- Dalton St Mary’s Christingle (1 comment)
- Dalton NatWest branch set to close (5 comments)