Dalton bodybuilder arrested in Germany on drug charges
Last updated at 16:37, Friday, 11 January 2013
A VETERAN bodybuilder and Furness gym owner has been arrested while abroad on suspicion of smuggling drugs.
Bernie Cooper was arrested in Bavaria, in south west Germany, on Monday on suspicion of attempting to smuggle drugs, the Evening Mail understands.
A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: “We can confirm the arrest of a British national on January 7 in Bavaria.”
The spokesman added the Foreign Office would provide Mr Cooper with consular assistance should he require it.
Mr Cooper owns Bernie’s Gym, in Chapel Street, Dalton, where he has helped coach and advise countless people get into shape and pursue bodybuilding.
During his decorated career in the sport, he has continually defeated men many years his junior to win a raft of titles.
He reached a national audience in 2007 when he featured on the BBC television programme Bodybuilding Pensioners – a documentary which focused on senior citizens who live for working out and competing in contests.
The Evening Mail reported in October 2006 how Mr Cooper achieved his ultimate ambition by being crowned Mr Universe, when he was filmed for the same documentary.
Aged 60 at the time, he landed the National Amateur Bodybuilding Association’s over-50s title at that event, held in Southport, beating competitors from the UK, Germany, Australia, Mexico, Holland, Brazil and Poland with a unanimous decision from the seven judges.
He told the Evening Mail at the time: “This is my best ever achievement in bodybuilding. Mr Universe is the ultimate prize in this sport.
“It’s like winning an Olympic medal, it’s that kind of standard.
“Only one other guy from the UK has ever won it in this age category before, that was two years ago.”
Among the other numerous accolades to his name, Mr Cooper has been crowned Mr Cumbria, World Champion and won gold in the Commonwealth Championships.
First published at 16:34, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Shoplifter caught in Dalton with £500 admitted money laundering
- Legal error results in Dalton zoo chief facing wrong charges (1 comment)
- Man shattered window in Dalton after row with his ex
- Dalton family’s distress after raiders stole ‘irreplaceable’ jewellery
- Tributes to 'witty and lovely' Dalton man who died a month after transplant (1 comment)
- Cumbria Police investigate burglary in Dalton
- Dalton schoolgirl suffers broken foot following collision with vehicle
- Dalton hotel set to reopen after gas canister explosion in kitchen (2 comments)
- Naked men seen walking through Dalton (15 comments)
- Dalton zoo is handed series of new conditions after inspection
- Council hits back in Dalton zoo tiger feeding row (45 comments)
- Dalton fire station sold to highest bidder for £130,000 (1 comment)
- Dalton Leisure centre full steam ahead after grant for boilers
- Dalton man pleads not guilty to dangerous driving
- Dalton woman who has 30 identities slams NHS healthcare failings (9 comments)
- Cumbria music festival hailed by organisers as the biggest yet
- Closed Dalton fire station will be sold to highest bidder
- Barrow council bosses in Dalton pub car park showdown
- Dalton zoo owner denies allowing animals to escape
- Dalton great-gran praises heroes who saved her from blazing kitchen (3 comments)
- Dalton makes an impression on visiting Britain in Bloom judges
- Planners to decide on controversial Dalton car park (4 comments)
- Dalton zoo standing tall in Trip Advisor’s top 10 (3 comments)
- Forces fundraising fun in Dalton marks anniversary of war