Dalton bodybuilder arrested in Germany on drug charges
Last updated at 16:37, Friday, 11 January 2013
A VETERAN bodybuilder and Furness gym owner has been arrested while abroad on suspicion of smuggling drugs.
Bernie Cooper was arrested in Bavaria, in south west Germany, on Monday on suspicion of attempting to smuggle drugs, the Evening Mail understands.
A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: “We can confirm the arrest of a British national on January 7 in Bavaria.”
The spokesman added the Foreign Office would provide Mr Cooper with consular assistance should he require it.
Mr Cooper owns Bernie’s Gym, in Chapel Street, Dalton, where he has helped coach and advise countless people get into shape and pursue bodybuilding.
During his decorated career in the sport, he has continually defeated men many years his junior to win a raft of titles.
He reached a national audience in 2007 when he featured on the BBC television programme Bodybuilding Pensioners – a documentary which focused on senior citizens who live for working out and competing in contests.
The Evening Mail reported in October 2006 how Mr Cooper achieved his ultimate ambition by being crowned Mr Universe, when he was filmed for the same documentary.
Aged 60 at the time, he landed the National Amateur Bodybuilding Association’s over-50s title at that event, held in Southport, beating competitors from the UK, Germany, Australia, Mexico, Holland, Brazil and Poland with a unanimous decision from the seven judges.
He told the Evening Mail at the time: “This is my best ever achievement in bodybuilding. Mr Universe is the ultimate prize in this sport.
“It’s like winning an Olympic medal, it’s that kind of standard.
“Only one other guy from the UK has ever won it in this age category before, that was two years ago.”
Among the other numerous accolades to his name, Mr Cooper has been crowned Mr Cumbria, World Champion and won gold in the Commonwealth Championships.
First published at 16:34, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open (1 comment)
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Deserving families enjoy Dreamnight adventure at South Lakes Safari Zoo (1 comment)
- Dalton girl is wheelie pleased after company buys her adapted trike
- Police investigate two Dalton burglaries - including car abandoned in Barrow (8 comments)
- Sterling effort to make Dalton artist face of £20 note (2 comments)
- Proud Dalton mum to help daughter get on her bike
- Dalton residents to share their vision for town’s future (1 comment)
- SLIDESHOW: South Cumbria pub's beer festival hailed as a success (2 comments)
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (18 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
- Mums turn tide in fight to keep vital Dalton aquanatal sessions afloat
- Dalton beer festival promises to be an ale and hearty affair (1 comment)