Dalton bow out of Cumbria Cup
Published at 16:12, Wednesday, 24 October 2012
DALTON fell at the penultimate hurdle in the Cumbria Cup, as they suffered semi-final defeat at Glasson.
The home side had Dalton on the back foot in the opening 10 minutes, taking a 6-0 lead after a try right under the sticks.
This sprung Dalton into life and they started to show Glasson what they can do as centre Dan Sayle went in to cut the gap to 6-4.
Dalton were the team on top, with Adam Nicholson and Dane Laisby causing the home team all sorts of problems with their direct running. The visitors worked the ball to the Glasson posts then returned to the right, where a fine passage of play involving Matt Bolton and Jack Flynn sent Sayle in for his second try, 8-6.
Dalton had their tails up and were the dominant team, Stuart Tippett starting to find space with his good kick returns, while Jordan Woodend was having a fine game at half-back.
It was the Woodend’s half-back partner Ryan Baines who scored next as Nicholson offloaded under the posts to Bolton and he slipped the ball to the supporting Baines. Woodend made no mistake with the conversion to give them a 14-6 half-time lead.
The hosts upped their game after the break and, with the help of a string of penalties against the visitors, the momentum swung their way as they scored five unanswered tries – none of them converted – to take the tie.
The coaches and staff at Dalton thanked all the fans who travelled to Glasson to support the team.
Best for the visitors on the day were Tippett, Nicholson and Woodend.
Dalton must pick themselves up quickly as they travel to Widnes Tigers on Saturday in the North West Counties League and take on Askam in the semi-final of the Barton-Townley Cup a week today.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
- Fundraising success on first night of Cumbria celebrity chef charity event
- Cumbria celebrity chef event ends with spectacular finale
- Police appeal after serious sexual offence in Dalton
- Dalton charity chef event aims to raise £100k
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
- Dalton Christmas Eve fireworks night pulls another cracker
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (11 comments)
- Dalton St Mary’s Christingle (1 comment)
- Dalton NatWest branch set to close (5 comments)
- Hundreds celebrate Dalton Christmas lights switch on
- Cold war nuclear crash may have caused Dalton man’s cancer (1 comment)
- Dalton Zoo boss guilty of allowing birds to escape
- ‘Family spat’ probably led to Dalton monkey escape (1 comment)
- Dalton is named one of the best places for families