Dalton food festival fundraiser a hit with chefs and diners
Last updated at 14:35, Monday, 04 February 2013
A STAR-STUDDED culinary extravaganza brought food heaven to Dalton as top chefs descended upon the town to back local charities.
Hairy Biker Dave Myers opened the five night long One Week Only food festival, which welcomes a line-up of some of Britain’s best chefs to cook for charity.
As a warm-up for the festival, restaurateur and chef, Simon Rogan, and Nigel Haworth, from Lancashire, took to the kitchen and whipped up the very best for the diners at Clarence House.
Mr Rogan, of L’Enclume in Cartmel, was thrilled to back the fundraising event.
He said that even though “it’s always difficult coming to somebody else’s kitchen” the event went “really, really well” for the Lake District Farmers Armstrong Family Charitable Fund.
He said that the cause, which will benefit South Cumbrian charities, was one that is close to his heart.
“Tonight is one of the few things that pull a chef out of his kitchen to get involved with it,” he said.
Mr Haworth swapped his kitchen in Lancashire’s Northcote Manor to join forces with Mr Rogan to make the night a huge success.
Mr Haworth said that the idea of sharing a menu and working together with another chef on the same courses was a
He explained that usually chefs work on one course each.
“It was a great night for a great cause,” he added.
The success of the night was lauded by the diners who described the meal as “superb” and “just incredible.”
The event attracted around 100 people.
The Lake District Farmers Armstrong Family Charitable Fund is the brainchild of Barrow businessman and philanthropist Ray Armstrong and Dan Austin, managing director of Lake District Farmers.
Mr Armstrong was delighted with the success of the opening night of the One Week Only festival.
He said it was “overwhelming” to see so many people support local charities.
The 52-year-old said: “It is fantastic. I am very proud, very proud.”
Mr Austin said he wanted to build on the success of the first night and said that every night had to be perfect.
He said: “We’ve got another four nights to go until we can celebrate!”
Mr Austin explained that he set out to “raise money for charity and put a smile on Ray’s face”.
He added: “The night has been a credit to Ray.”
First published at 14:34, Monday, 04 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival
- Mums turn tide in fight to keep vital Dalton aquanatal sessions afloat
- Dalton beer festival promises to be an ale and hearty affair (1 comment)
- South Cumbria primary school head’s homes plea rejected by planners
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
- Fundraising success on first night of Cumbria celebrity chef charity event
- Cumbria celebrity chef event ends with spectacular finale
- Police appeal after serious sexual offence in Dalton
- Dalton charity chef event aims to raise £100k
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
Evening Mail homepage
Luscombe Plant Hire
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21