Dalton Miss South Lakes contest finalist in bug-eating test
Last updated at 16:30, Monday, 24 September 2012
PAUL Burrell whimpered like a baby, Gillian McKeith collapsed and Freddie Starr was hospitalised.
Stars dread being forced to tackle the notorious “bush tucker trial” on the popular reality TV show I’m a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!.
But a Miss South Lakes finalist is voluntarily attempting to eat jungle critters such as scorpions and flying grasshoppers.
Finalists were tasked with devising a fundraiser and India Douglas came up with her own version of the dreaded bush tucker trial to raise money for the Variety Club of Great Britain.
The 20-year-old, of Market Street, Dalton, said: “I wanted to choose something that would stand out so people would sponsor me and raise as much as possible for the charity – and so far it seems to be doing the job.
“I only started getting sponsors last Sunday and I’ve managed to raise over £400 already.
“On my sponsor form it says ‘I’m a Miss South Lakes contender, get me out of here’, so you could say it (the show) inspired me a bit.”
Miss Douglas, a receptionist at JF Hornby & Co chartered accountants in Ulverston, will take on the challenge live on air on The Bay radio station on October 5. Other creepy crawlies she will attempt to devour include weaver ants, silkworm pupae, bamboo worm and mole cricket.
She said: “It’s going to be quite a challenge, because my mam said ‘you struggle to eat a carrot, India!’
“I said ‘I know mam, but this is for charity, so I’m giving it a try!’
“It’s all for a good cause, so hopefully that should help me.”
Miss Douglas was scouted to enter the competition, which is direct entry heat into the Miss England competition, while walking in Barrow town centre. She then impressed the organisers and found out last week she had made the 17-24 category final at the Coronation Hall on October 27.
There will be four rounds where contestants must wear sportswear, eco wear, evening wear and day wear.
First published at 16:25, Monday, 24 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Dalton news
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
- Dalton Christmas Eve fireworks night pulls another cracker
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (11 comments)
- Dalton St Mary’s Christingle (1 comment)
- Dalton NatWest branch set to close (5 comments)
- Hundreds celebrate Dalton Christmas lights switch on
- Cold war nuclear crash may have caused Dalton man’s cancer (1 comment)
- Dalton Zoo boss guilty of allowing birds to escape
- ‘Family spat’ probably led to Dalton monkey escape (1 comment)
- Dalton is named one of the best places for families
- Smurfs spotted out and about on Dalton school’s sponsored stroll
- Shoplifter caught in Dalton with £500 admitted money laundering
- Legal error results in Dalton zoo chief facing wrong charges (1 comment)
- Man shattered window in Dalton after row with his ex
- Dalton family’s distress after raiders stole ‘irreplaceable’ jewellery
- Tributes to 'witty and lovely' Dalton man who died a month after transplant (1 comment)
- Cumbria Police investigate burglary in Dalton
- Dalton schoolgirl suffers broken foot following collision with vehicle
- Dalton hotel set to reopen after gas canister explosion in kitchen (2 comments)