Dalton Miss South Lakes contest finalist in bug-eating test
Last updated at 16:30, Monday, 24 September 2012
PAUL Burrell whimpered like a baby, Gillian McKeith collapsed and Freddie Starr was hospitalised.
Stars dread being forced to tackle the notorious “bush tucker trial” on the popular reality TV show I’m a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!.
But a Miss South Lakes finalist is voluntarily attempting to eat jungle critters such as scorpions and flying grasshoppers.
Finalists were tasked with devising a fundraiser and India Douglas came up with her own version of the dreaded bush tucker trial to raise money for the Variety Club of Great Britain.
The 20-year-old, of Market Street, Dalton, said: “I wanted to choose something that would stand out so people would sponsor me and raise as much as possible for the charity – and so far it seems to be doing the job.
“I only started getting sponsors last Sunday and I’ve managed to raise over £400 already.
“On my sponsor form it says ‘I’m a Miss South Lakes contender, get me out of here’, so you could say it (the show) inspired me a bit.”
Miss Douglas, a receptionist at JF Hornby & Co chartered accountants in Ulverston, will take on the challenge live on air on The Bay radio station on October 5. Other creepy crawlies she will attempt to devour include weaver ants, silkworm pupae, bamboo worm and mole cricket.
She said: “It’s going to be quite a challenge, because my mam said ‘you struggle to eat a carrot, India!’
“I said ‘I know mam, but this is for charity, so I’m giving it a try!’
“It’s all for a good cause, so hopefully that should help me.”
Miss Douglas was scouted to enter the competition, which is direct entry heat into the Miss England competition, while walking in Barrow town centre. She then impressed the organisers and found out last week she had made the 17-24 category final at the Coronation Hall on October 27.
There will be four rounds where contestants must wear sportswear, eco wear, evening wear and day wear.
First published at 16:25, Monday, 24 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Dalton news
- Markets failure is blow to Dalton renewal hopes
- Cumbria man is jailed for sex offence with child
- Four generations celebrate Dalton motor man’s 100th birthday
- Date set for Dalton zoo death inquest
- Curfew for Dalton man who spat at bar manager (2 comments)
- Dalton garden centre boss goes back to early roots
- Ceremony to mark new Askam library Saturday openings
- Police probe Dalton zoo owner’s gay marriage comments (132 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss provokes outrage with ‘same sex’ comments (70 comments)
- Date for repair work completion revealed at Dalton sports hall
- Hundreds join mission to make Barrow girl’s Disney dream come true
- Barrow Street dealers’ mission ends in prison term
- Dalton Rugby Club wins kit contest with top tactics
- Cumbria women invited to Dalton, Grange and Ambleside events to "change their lives"
- Illegal Dalton parkers face spot fines (8 comments)
- Dalton police appealing for witnesses after car fled from the scene of a smash (1 comment)
- Baby giraffe injured at Cumbria zoo
- Cumbria Fire Crew’s anger at pay-off options
- Former Dalton pupils gather from near and far for reunion
- Power firm boss to give former Dalton police station new lease of life
- Dalton charity spectacular soars past £30k mark
- Dalton fire crew among those called to blaze at Barrow flat
- Bidders splash the cash in Dalton Valentine’s date auction
- ‘Lives may be at risk’ as Dalton fire station faces closure (5 comments)
- Dalton pupils go all out for Wizard of Oz show
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans