Dalton pupils shine on carol show
Last updated at 17:28, Wednesday, 19 December 2012
A 450-STRONG congregation raised the roof during aspecial festive service recorded for radio broadcast.
BBC Radio Cumbria’s ‘Carols for Christmas’ concert was held on Thursday evening, at St Mary’s Church in Dalton.
Hosted by well-known presenters, Val Armstrong and Richard Corrie, the event featured a number of traditional Christmas carols, plus readings from some of the most familiar voices on the county’s BBC station.
It is due to be broadcast some time over the holiday period.
The vicar of St Mary’s, the Reverend Allan Mitchell, played a part in the concert, as did the Bishop of Penrith, the Right Reverend Robert Freeman and the Reverend Richard Teal, chair of the Cumbria Methodist District.
The Dalton St Mary’s School choir joined voice with the huge audience accompanied by Dalton Town Brass Band.
There could not have been a more ideal setting for the special event, as the musicians stood in front of a backdrop of 50 beautifully decorated trees displayed as part of the town’s famous Christmas tree festival.
Rev Mitchell said: “There was a lot of nervousness, but it was just fantastic.”
Children from St Mary’s choir performed a rendition of Angel Light, a carol penned by Rev Mitchell, which he described as “beautiful”.
Another highlight included St Mary’s bellringers adding to a famous carol.
“Richard Corrie had something up his sleeve for Ding Dong Merrily On High. We have 10 bells at St Mary’s and he got the lights to be switched on in the belfry, and the bellringers joined in. It was wonderful,” said Rev Mitchell.
First published at 16:13, Wednesday, 19 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
- Fundraising success on first night of Cumbria celebrity chef charity event
- Cumbria celebrity chef event ends with spectacular finale
- Police appeal after serious sexual offence in Dalton
- Dalton charity chef event aims to raise £100k
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
- Dalton Christmas Eve fireworks night pulls another cracker
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (11 comments)
- Dalton St Mary’s Christingle (1 comment)
- Dalton NatWest branch set to close (5 comments)