Dalton school wins Cumbria honours
Published at 01:00, Thursday, 01 April 2004
A FURNESS secondary school is leading the way when it comes to helping pupils’ progress.
Dowdales School, in Dalton, is the first in Cumbria — and one of just 18 nationally — to win Ambassador School Status for Gifted and Talented Pupils.
The award was given by the National Academy at the University of Warwick.
Headteacher Liz Moffatt said she was pleased another strand of the school’s work had been recognised.
Asked why she thought the school had won the ambassador status award, Mrs Moffatt said: “We’re doing a lot to meet the needs of individual children, without appearing to be elitist, or separating them out, or limiting others.”
She added that there was an “energy group” of department representatives who discuss provision for gifted and talented pupils.
There were also various pupil programmes such as the More Able Child plan.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Shoplifter caught in Dalton with £500 admitted money laundering
- Legal error results in Dalton zoo chief facing wrong charges (1 comment)
- Man shattered window in Dalton after row with his ex
- Dalton family’s distress after raiders stole ‘irreplaceable’ jewellery
- Tributes to 'witty and lovely' Dalton man who died a month after transplant (1 comment)
- Cumbria Police investigate burglary in Dalton
- Dalton schoolgirl suffers broken foot following collision with vehicle
- Dalton hotel set to reopen after gas canister explosion in kitchen (2 comments)
- Naked men seen walking through Dalton (15 comments)
- Dalton zoo is handed series of new conditions after inspection
- Council hits back in Dalton zoo tiger feeding row (45 comments)
- Dalton fire station sold to highest bidder for £130,000 (1 comment)
- Dalton Leisure centre full steam ahead after grant for boilers
- Dalton man pleads not guilty to dangerous driving
- Dalton woman who has 30 identities slams NHS healthcare failings (9 comments)
- Cumbria music festival hailed by organisers as the biggest yet
- Closed Dalton fire station will be sold to highest bidder
- Barrow council bosses in Dalton pub car park showdown
- Dalton zoo owner denies allowing animals to escape
- Dalton great-gran praises heroes who saved her from blazing kitchen (3 comments)
- Dalton makes an impression on visiting Britain in Bloom judges
- Planners to decide on controversial Dalton car park (4 comments)
- Dalton zoo standing tall in Trip Advisor’s top 10 (3 comments)
- Forces fundraising fun in Dalton marks anniversary of war