Dalton school wins Cumbria honours
Published at 01:00, Thursday, 01 April 2004
A FURNESS secondary school is leading the way when it comes to helping pupils’ progress.
Dowdales School, in Dalton, is the first in Cumbria — and one of just 18 nationally — to win Ambassador School Status for Gifted and Talented Pupils.
The award was given by the National Academy at the University of Warwick.
Headteacher Liz Moffatt said she was pleased another strand of the school’s work had been recognised.
Asked why she thought the school had won the ambassador status award, Mrs Moffatt said: “We’re doing a lot to meet the needs of individual children, without appearing to be elitist, or separating them out, or limiting others.”
She added that there was an “energy group” of department representatives who discuss provision for gifted and talented pupils.
There were also various pupil programmes such as the More Able Child plan.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Barrow council prosecutes in connection with zoo keeper death
- Business prosecuted in connection with zoo keeper killed by tiger
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open (1 comment)
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Deserving families enjoy Dreamnight adventure at South Lakes Safari Zoo (1 comment)
- Dalton girl is wheelie pleased after company buys her adapted trike
- Police investigate two Dalton burglaries - including car abandoned in Barrow (8 comments)
- Sterling effort to make Dalton artist face of £20 note (2 comments)
- Proud Dalton mum to help daughter get on her bike
- Dalton residents to share their vision for town’s future (1 comment)
- SLIDESHOW: South Cumbria pub's beer festival hailed as a success (2 comments)
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (18 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- MP stands by his BAE Systems Barrow ‘Bahamas’ jibe (38 comments)
- Netballers to remember Gill
- Schools go head to head
- Town did us proud again
- Got a lot of bottle
- Two vehicle car crash on Cumbria A595
- Lindal aim to keep up winning form
- Cumbria A590 work due to end
- Education stars revealed in shortlist for Cumbria education awards
- Time for a snooze
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22