Dalton school wins Cumbria honours
Published at 01:00, Thursday, 01 April 2004
A FURNESS secondary school is leading the way when it comes to helping pupils’ progress.
Dowdales School, in Dalton, is the first in Cumbria — and one of just 18 nationally — to win Ambassador School Status for Gifted and Talented Pupils.
The award was given by the National Academy at the University of Warwick.
Headteacher Liz Moffatt said she was pleased another strand of the school’s work had been recognised.
Asked why she thought the school had won the ambassador status award, Mrs Moffatt said: “We’re doing a lot to meet the needs of individual children, without appearing to be elitist, or separating them out, or limiting others.”
She added that there was an “energy group” of department representatives who discuss provision for gifted and talented pupils.
There were also various pupil programmes such as the More Able Child plan.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
- Dalton Christmas Eve fireworks night pulls another cracker
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (11 comments)
- Dalton St Mary’s Christingle (1 comment)
- Dalton NatWest branch set to close (5 comments)
- Hundreds celebrate Dalton Christmas lights switch on
- Cold war nuclear crash may have caused Dalton man’s cancer (1 comment)
- Dalton Zoo boss guilty of allowing birds to escape
- ‘Family spat’ probably led to Dalton monkey escape (1 comment)
- Dalton is named one of the best places for families
- Smurfs spotted out and about on Dalton school’s sponsored stroll
- Shoplifter caught in Dalton with £500 admitted money laundering
- Legal error results in Dalton zoo chief facing wrong charges (1 comment)
- Man shattered window in Dalton after row with his ex
- Dalton family’s distress after raiders stole ‘irreplaceable’ jewellery
- Tributes to 'witty and lovely' Dalton man who died a month after transplant (1 comment)
- Cumbria Police investigate burglary in Dalton
- Dalton schoolgirl suffers broken foot following collision with vehicle
- Dalton hotel set to reopen after gas canister explosion in kitchen (2 comments)
Evening Mail homepage
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life