Dalton school wins Cumbria honours
Published at 01:00, Thursday, 01 April 2004
A FURNESS secondary school is leading the way when it comes to helping pupils’ progress.
Dowdales School, in Dalton, is the first in Cumbria — and one of just 18 nationally — to win Ambassador School Status for Gifted and Talented Pupils.
The award was given by the National Academy at the University of Warwick.
Headteacher Liz Moffatt said she was pleased another strand of the school’s work had been recognised.
Asked why she thought the school had won the ambassador status award, Mrs Moffatt said: “We’re doing a lot to meet the needs of individual children, without appearing to be elitist, or separating them out, or limiting others.”
She added that there was an “energy group” of department representatives who discuss provision for gifted and talented pupils.
There were also various pupil programmes such as the More Able Child plan.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Dalton father calls for health boss to quit
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
- Fundraising success on first night of Cumbria celebrity chef charity event
- Cumbria celebrity chef event ends with spectacular finale
- Police appeal after serious sexual offence in Dalton
- Dalton charity chef event aims to raise £100k
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
- Dalton Christmas Eve fireworks night pulls another cracker
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (11 comments)
- Dalton St Mary’s Christingle (1 comment)