Dowdales School kids say g’day to a feast of Aussie tucker
Last updated at 15:58, Thursday, 26 January 2012
WITCHETTY grubs, mouse tails and bush tucker trials are what springs to mind when someone says Australian food to me.
So when I was told that Dowdales School, in Dalton, was putting on a feast of Aussie cuisine for pupils and staff, I was slightly concerned.
The canteen was packed and scattered with Australian flags, boomerangs and brightly coloured images of the Australian outback to fit the theme.
Australia Day is a national holiday celebrated down under on January 26 every year. Dowdales, which puts on food from different countries once a month, was excited to embrace the theme.
Pupils and teachers had a choice of Australian prawns served with noodles, lamb kofta with yoghurt sauce, Illawarry plum spare ribs or beef burger with tomato and cheese. Angela Crarey, work experience and project co-ordinator, said: “We were going to name the beef burgers camel burgers but we thought it would put people off.”
Megan Evans, 12, was trying the beef burger and said: “It was lovely.” She added she usually likes to try the themed food and she really enjoyed it.
On offer for dessert was Australian sticky toffee pudding, pumpkin scones, Anzac biscuits and chocolate slice.
Joshua Braithwaite, 12, said: “I tried the spare ribs and sticky toffee pudding. It tastes really nice. It’s different to what we usually have.”
I tried a lamb kofta with some yogurt sauce. The lamb flavour was accompanied by a tangy spice and the yogurt sauce was a perfect mellow accompaniment. I also tried a pumpkin scone, which wasn’t too dissimilar to a traditional English scone.
Paul Beach, international co-ordinations manager, said: “We have a different theme once a month and try to link it with events going on in school or worldwide. Kids experience trying foods they’ve never tried before.”
Dowdales had strong links to Australia in the past and now has links with Japan, Nepal and Spain.
First published at 14:28, Thursday, 26 January 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Barrow council prosecutes in connection with zoo keeper death
- Business prosecuted in connection with zoo keeper killed by tiger
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open (1 comment)
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Deserving families enjoy Dreamnight adventure at South Lakes Safari Zoo (1 comment)
- Dalton girl is wheelie pleased after company buys her adapted trike
- Police investigate two Dalton burglaries - including car abandoned in Barrow (8 comments)
- Sterling effort to make Dalton artist face of £20 note (2 comments)
- Proud Dalton mum to help daughter get on her bike
- Dalton residents to share their vision for town’s future (1 comment)
- SLIDESHOW: South Cumbria pub's beer festival hailed as a success (2 comments)
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (18 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Tommy Tynan: Passing mourned by community (1 comment)
- Dalton Christmas tree festival
- Children in Need fund-raisers spotted in West Cumbria
- News round-up
- Charlotte is promoted
- Dalton police
- Inferno clean-up operation sparks launch of new firm
- Dalton pupils get live cooking demonstration from Jamie Oliver
- Weekly bin collections could return to Copeland (34 comments)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22