Dowdales School kids say g’day to a feast of Aussie tucker
Last updated at 15:58, Thursday, 26 January 2012
WITCHETTY grubs, mouse tails and bush tucker trials are what springs to mind when someone says Australian food to me.
So when I was told that Dowdales School, in Dalton, was putting on a feast of Aussie cuisine for pupils and staff, I was slightly concerned.
The canteen was packed and scattered with Australian flags, boomerangs and brightly coloured images of the Australian outback to fit the theme.
Australia Day is a national holiday celebrated down under on January 26 every year. Dowdales, which puts on food from different countries once a month, was excited to embrace the theme.
Pupils and teachers had a choice of Australian prawns served with noodles, lamb kofta with yoghurt sauce, Illawarry plum spare ribs or beef burger with tomato and cheese. Angela Crarey, work experience and project co-ordinator, said: “We were going to name the beef burgers camel burgers but we thought it would put people off.”
Megan Evans, 12, was trying the beef burger and said: “It was lovely.” She added she usually likes to try the themed food and she really enjoyed it.
On offer for dessert was Australian sticky toffee pudding, pumpkin scones, Anzac biscuits and chocolate slice.
Joshua Braithwaite, 12, said: “I tried the spare ribs and sticky toffee pudding. It tastes really nice. It’s different to what we usually have.”
I tried a lamb kofta with some yogurt sauce. The lamb flavour was accompanied by a tangy spice and the yogurt sauce was a perfect mellow accompaniment. I also tried a pumpkin scone, which wasn’t too dissimilar to a traditional English scone.
Paul Beach, international co-ordinations manager, said: “We have a different theme once a month and try to link it with events going on in school or worldwide. Kids experience trying foods they’ve never tried before.”
Dowdales had strong links to Australia in the past and now has links with Japan, Nepal and Spain.
First published at 14:28, Thursday, 26 January 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
- Fundraising success on first night of Cumbria celebrity chef charity event
- Cumbria celebrity chef event ends with spectacular finale
- Police appeal after serious sexual offence in Dalton
- Dalton charity chef event aims to raise £100k
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
- Dalton Christmas Eve fireworks night pulls another cracker
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (11 comments)
- Dalton St Mary’s Christingle (1 comment)
- Dalton NatWest branch set to close (5 comments)