Dowdales teacher Matt comes top of the class
Published at 01:00, Wednesday, 14 June 2006
A DALTON teacher has won a regional award.
Matt Barton, a geography tutor at Dowdales School, was given the outstanding new teacher accolade at the North East and Cumbria Teaching Awards 2006.
The 25-year-old, who is a former Dowdales pupil, picked up the prize at a ceremony held at Sunderland Football Club’s Stadium of Light ground yesterday.
Mr Barton started work at the secondary school in September.
He has been promoted to the school’s head of geography, from September.
The teacher was nominated by his PGCE tutor Teresa Lenton, from St Martin’s College in Lancaster.
He will now compete at the National Teaching Awards on October 15.
Dowdales headteacher Liz Moffatt said: “Matt is an absolute star. He thoroughly deserves this. We are very proud."
Lindsey Ferrie, the headteacher of Grasmere CE School, won a commendation at the awards.
Julie Higham, Dowdales’ higher level teaching assistant in maths, was short-listed for the teaching assistant award.
The modest award winner, who is an ex-deputy head boy of Dowdales, said:“I’m unbelievably surprised and shocked. Obviously I’m really pleased but I just didn’t expect it."
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Dalton Zoo boss guilty of allowing birds to escape
- ‘Family spat’ probably led to Dalton monkey escape (1 comment)
- Dalton is named one of the best places for families
- Smurfs spotted out and about on Dalton school’s sponsored stroll
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Shoplifter caught in Dalton with £500 admitted money laundering
- Legal error results in Dalton zoo chief facing wrong charges (1 comment)
- Man shattered window in Dalton after row with his ex
- Dalton family’s distress after raiders stole ‘irreplaceable’ jewellery
- Tributes to 'witty and lovely' Dalton man who died a month after transplant (1 comment)
- Cumbria Police investigate burglary in Dalton
- Dalton schoolgirl suffers broken foot following collision with vehicle
- Dalton hotel set to reopen after gas canister explosion in kitchen (2 comments)
- Naked men seen walking through Dalton (15 comments)
- Dalton zoo is handed series of new conditions after inspection
- Council hits back in Dalton zoo tiger feeding row (45 comments)
- Dalton fire station sold to highest bidder for £130,000 (1 comment)
- Dalton Leisure centre full steam ahead after grant for boilers
- Dalton man pleads not guilty to dangerous driving
- Dalton woman who has 30 identities slams NHS healthcare failings (9 comments)
- Cumbria music festival hailed by organisers as the biggest yet
- Closed Dalton fire station will be sold to highest bidder
- Barrow council bosses in Dalton pub car park showdown
- Dalton zoo owner denies allowing animals to escape
- Dalton great-gran praises heroes who saved her from blazing kitchen (3 comments)
Evening Mail homepage
Post 16 education
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school