Dowdales teacher Matt comes top of the class
Published at 01:00, Wednesday, 14 June 2006
A DALTON teacher has won a regional award.
Matt Barton, a geography tutor at Dowdales School, was given the outstanding new teacher accolade at the North East and Cumbria Teaching Awards 2006.
The 25-year-old, who is a former Dowdales pupil, picked up the prize at a ceremony held at Sunderland Football Club’s Stadium of Light ground yesterday.
Mr Barton started work at the secondary school in September.
He has been promoted to the school’s head of geography, from September.
The teacher was nominated by his PGCE tutor Teresa Lenton, from St Martin’s College in Lancaster.
He will now compete at the National Teaching Awards on October 15.
Dowdales headteacher Liz Moffatt said: “Matt is an absolute star. He thoroughly deserves this. We are very proud."
Lindsey Ferrie, the headteacher of Grasmere CE School, won a commendation at the awards.
Julie Higham, Dowdales’ higher level teaching assistant in maths, was short-listed for the teaching assistant award.
The modest award winner, who is an ex-deputy head boy of Dowdales, said:“I’m unbelievably surprised and shocked. Obviously I’m really pleased but I just didn’t expect it."
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (10 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
- Mums turn tide in fight to keep vital Dalton aquanatal sessions afloat
- Dalton beer festival promises to be an ale and hearty affair (1 comment)
- South Cumbria primary school head’s homes plea rejected by planners
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
- Fundraising success on first night of Cumbria celebrity chef charity event
- Cumbria celebrity chef event ends with spectacular finale
- Police appeal after serious sexual offence in Dalton
- Dalton charity chef event aims to raise £100k
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
Evening Mail homepage
Choosing a pre-school
Luscombe Plant Hire
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21