Dowdales teacher Matt comes top of the class
Published at 01:00, Wednesday, 14 June 2006
A DALTON teacher has won a regional award.
Matt Barton, a geography tutor at Dowdales School, was given the outstanding new teacher accolade at the North East and Cumbria Teaching Awards 2006.
The 25-year-old, who is a former Dowdales pupil, picked up the prize at a ceremony held at Sunderland Football Club’s Stadium of Light ground yesterday.
Mr Barton started work at the secondary school in September.
He has been promoted to the school’s head of geography, from September.
The teacher was nominated by his PGCE tutor Teresa Lenton, from St Martin’s College in Lancaster.
He will now compete at the National Teaching Awards on October 15.
Dowdales headteacher Liz Moffatt said: “Matt is an absolute star. He thoroughly deserves this. We are very proud."
Lindsey Ferrie, the headteacher of Grasmere CE School, won a commendation at the awards.
Julie Higham, Dowdales’ higher level teaching assistant in maths, was short-listed for the teaching assistant award.
The modest award winner, who is an ex-deputy head boy of Dowdales, said:“I’m unbelievably surprised and shocked. Obviously I’m really pleased but I just didn’t expect it."
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Barrow council prosecutes in connection with zoo keeper death
- Business prosecuted in connection with zoo keeper killed by tiger
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open (1 comment)
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Deserving families enjoy Dreamnight adventure at South Lakes Safari Zoo (1 comment)
- Dalton girl is wheelie pleased after company buys her adapted trike
- Police investigate two Dalton burglaries - including car abandoned in Barrow (8 comments)
- Sterling effort to make Dalton artist face of £20 note (2 comments)
- Proud Dalton mum to help daughter get on her bike
- Dalton residents to share their vision for town’s future (1 comment)
- SLIDESHOW: South Cumbria pub's beer festival hailed as a success (2 comments)
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (18 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22