Els confident over Furness prospects
Last updated at 16:49, Friday, 04 January 2013
FURNESS player/coach Corne Els believes his players a stronger, better unit as they enter 2013.
The Blues have enjoyed a strong run of form since Els and Gary Pritchard took over the coaching duties at the Strawberry Grounds and have won seven of their last nine matches going into tomorrow’s game at Silloth.
The North Cumbrian outfit are second in the league, two places and six points above Furness, and defeated their visitors during an early season run which saw the Barrow outfit win just two of their opening six matches.
But Els is confident things are looking up for his side as they head north for what he sees as a huge match in the quest to ensure a top-five position.
“It’s a massive game and we need to win it,” said the South African forward.
“Staying in a place in the top five is our main goal at the moment.
“Things are going good at the moment. The lads are getting together well and I think we have a good team going now.
“We’ve got a set of lads who are coming together usefully for the remaining games.
“We’re a lot more prepared for the games with Windermere, Silloth and Penrith. We played them at the beginning of the season as well and lost, but the team has settled a lot more since then, we’ve got a new style of play and we’re a bit more grown-up and closer.
“I think we will do a lot better this time round in the games at the end of the season.”
Furness have a near full squad to choose from tomorrow, though they are without prop Adam Pearce, who has a shoulder injury, and George Kennedy, who has work commitments.
The forwards will be an area where the Blues will need to be on their game, with Els expecting Silloth to take play up the middle of the park.
He added: “I think Silloth will try to put a big bunch of trundling forwards out again.
“The game will be played in the forwards, I don’t think they have a great back line.
“But we have pretty much a whole team, apart from Adam and we don’t know if our scrum half Sam Dutton is available yet ( he returns from holiday tomorrow morning).
“It will be a full team and I think we’ll have Joel Williams at 10 again – he did a good job against Kendal (whom Furness defeated 32-6 in their final match before Christmas).”
First published at 16:45, Friday, 04 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
does young doherty not play anymore I havent heard any write ups about him.
Make your comment
More Dalton news
- Smurfs spotted out and about on Dalton school’s sponsored stroll
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Shoplifter caught in Dalton with £500 admitted money laundering
- Legal error results in Dalton zoo chief facing wrong charges (1 comment)
- Man shattered window in Dalton after row with his ex
- Dalton family’s distress after raiders stole ‘irreplaceable’ jewellery
- Tributes to 'witty and lovely' Dalton man who died a month after transplant (1 comment)
- Cumbria Police investigate burglary in Dalton
- Dalton schoolgirl suffers broken foot following collision with vehicle
- Dalton hotel set to reopen after gas canister explosion in kitchen (2 comments)
- Naked men seen walking through Dalton (15 comments)
- Dalton zoo is handed series of new conditions after inspection
- Council hits back in Dalton zoo tiger feeding row (45 comments)
- Dalton fire station sold to highest bidder for £130,000 (1 comment)
- Dalton Leisure centre full steam ahead after grant for boilers
- Dalton man pleads not guilty to dangerous driving
- Dalton woman who has 30 identities slams NHS healthcare failings (9 comments)
- Cumbria music festival hailed by organisers as the biggest yet
- Closed Dalton fire station will be sold to highest bidder
- Barrow council bosses in Dalton pub car park showdown
- Dalton zoo owner denies allowing animals to escape
- Dalton great-gran praises heroes who saved her from blazing kitchen (3 comments)
- Dalton makes an impression on visiting Britain in Bloom judges
- Planners to decide on controversial Dalton car park (4 comments)
- Dalton zoo standing tall in Trip Advisor’s top 10 (3 comments)