Published at 13:10, Tuesday, 01 September 2009
FRIENDS of a popular sportsman who died earlier this year came together at a cricket fund-raising match organised in his memory.
Sunday saw the match take place between Duddon Cricket Club players and Askam rugby league players.
The event was held at Askam Amateur Rugby League Club in Sandy Lane in memory of Mark Coward.
Mr Coward, who was an electrician at BAE Systems and a popular scrum-half for Askam, died in February, aged 21, after suffering heart and lung infections.
There was plenty of fun and games during the match and a disco was held at the club at night, featuring Mr Coward’ cousin, Steven Coward, the lead singer of Leeds-based band Bikini Black Special, who performed an acoustic set.
All proceeds are to be donated to the British Heart Foundation.
The event is the second to be organised in memory of Mr Coward.
Sisters Debbie and Kelly Sanderson raised £2,350 at an event they organised on what would have been Mr Coward’s 22nd birthday, and Melanie Vanstone helped organise Sunday’s event.
Published by http://www.askamlocal.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (17 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
- Mums turn tide in fight to keep vital Dalton aquanatal sessions afloat
- Dalton beer festival promises to be an ale and hearty affair (1 comment)
- South Cumbria primary school head’s homes plea rejected by planners
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
Evening Mail homepage
- Barrow death crash case delay ‘unacceptable’ says judge
- Dalton businessman tells Ulverston: "We'll have your supermarket if you don't want it." (14 comments)
- Names found for the classmates of 1952
- Dalton 10k results
- Dalton zoo boss brings seasonal cheer with free admission
- Dalton Carnival
- BIG NIGHT OUT: Hockey players have a jolly night after a year of being right on the ball
- Tributes to talented Carlisle musician (2 comments)
- Scribble test 2
- Coins point to Roman influence in Furness
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22