Published at 13:10, Tuesday, 01 September 2009
FRIENDS of a popular sportsman who died earlier this year came together at a cricket fund-raising match organised in his memory.
Sunday saw the match take place between Duddon Cricket Club players and Askam rugby league players.
The event was held at Askam Amateur Rugby League Club in Sandy Lane in memory of Mark Coward.
Mr Coward, who was an electrician at BAE Systems and a popular scrum-half for Askam, died in February, aged 21, after suffering heart and lung infections.
There was plenty of fun and games during the match and a disco was held at the club at night, featuring Mr Coward’ cousin, Steven Coward, the lead singer of Leeds-based band Bikini Black Special, who performed an acoustic set.
All proceeds are to be donated to the British Heart Foundation.
The event is the second to be organised in memory of Mr Coward.
Sisters Debbie and Kelly Sanderson raised £2,350 at an event they organised on what would have been Mr Coward’s 22nd birthday, and Melanie Vanstone helped organise Sunday’s event.
Published by http://www.askamlocal.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Smurfs spotted out and about on Dalton school’s sponsored stroll
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Shoplifter caught in Dalton with £500 admitted money laundering
- Legal error results in Dalton zoo chief facing wrong charges (1 comment)
- Man shattered window in Dalton after row with his ex
- Dalton family’s distress after raiders stole ‘irreplaceable’ jewellery
- Tributes to 'witty and lovely' Dalton man who died a month after transplant (1 comment)
- Cumbria Police investigate burglary in Dalton
- Dalton schoolgirl suffers broken foot following collision with vehicle
- Dalton hotel set to reopen after gas canister explosion in kitchen (2 comments)
- Naked men seen walking through Dalton (15 comments)
- Dalton zoo is handed series of new conditions after inspection
- Council hits back in Dalton zoo tiger feeding row (45 comments)
- Dalton fire station sold to highest bidder for £130,000 (1 comment)
- Dalton Leisure centre full steam ahead after grant for boilers
- Dalton man pleads not guilty to dangerous driving
- Dalton woman who has 30 identities slams NHS healthcare failings (9 comments)
- Cumbria music festival hailed by organisers as the biggest yet
- Closed Dalton fire station will be sold to highest bidder
- Barrow council bosses in Dalton pub car park showdown
- Dalton zoo owner denies allowing animals to escape
- Dalton great-gran praises heroes who saved her from blazing kitchen (3 comments)
- Dalton makes an impression on visiting Britain in Bloom judges
- Planners to decide on controversial Dalton car park (4 comments)
- Dalton zoo standing tall in Trip Advisor’s top 10 (3 comments)
Evening Mail homepage
World's biggest coffee morning 2014
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5