Published at 13:10, Tuesday, 01 September 2009
FRIENDS of a popular sportsman who died earlier this year came together at a cricket fund-raising match organised in his memory.
Sunday saw the match take place between Duddon Cricket Club players and Askam rugby league players.
The event was held at Askam Amateur Rugby League Club in Sandy Lane in memory of Mark Coward.
Mr Coward, who was an electrician at BAE Systems and a popular scrum-half for Askam, died in February, aged 21, after suffering heart and lung infections.
There was plenty of fun and games during the match and a disco was held at the club at night, featuring Mr Coward’ cousin, Steven Coward, the lead singer of Leeds-based band Bikini Black Special, who performed an acoustic set.
All proceeds are to be donated to the British Heart Foundation.
The event is the second to be organised in memory of Mr Coward.
Sisters Debbie and Kelly Sanderson raised £2,350 at an event they organised on what would have been Mr Coward’s 22nd birthday, and Melanie Vanstone helped organise Sunday’s event.
Published by http://www.askamlocal.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Barrow council prosecutes in connection with zoo keeper death
- Business prosecuted in connection with zoo keeper killed by tiger
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open (1 comment)
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Deserving families enjoy Dreamnight adventure at South Lakes Safari Zoo (1 comment)
- Dalton girl is wheelie pleased after company buys her adapted trike
- Police investigate two Dalton burglaries - including car abandoned in Barrow (8 comments)
- Sterling effort to make Dalton artist face of £20 note (2 comments)
- Proud Dalton mum to help daughter get on her bike
- Dalton residents to share their vision for town’s future (1 comment)
- SLIDESHOW: South Cumbria pub's beer festival hailed as a success (2 comments)
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (18 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- News round-up
- First Channel race ends in disaster
- New Cockermouth sandwich shop opens
- Old friends in catch-up at Barrow Convent School reunion
- Children in Need fund-raisers spotted in West Cumbria
- Residents on Carlisle estate praised for drugs bust courage
- Young dancers prepare to entertain with their magical Christmas show
- Firms bid to build Millom pool (3 comments)
- Dalton police
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22