Keeping the town safe from fire for decades
Published at 13:07, Friday, 03 December 2010
AS this week’s mystery picture was the fire station at Dalton, we have devoted the rest of the page to views through the ages linked to the town’s firefighters.
The earliest is from around 1902 and shows the old town hall with the double wooden doors on the right where the town’s fire engine was kept.
Around this time it is likely to have still been horse drawn so there would have been a piece of grazing and a stable nearby.
The fire engine would have been bought and staffed at the expense of Dalton people in an era where towns provided almost all their own services, including the building and running of schools and council house building.
The bottom picture shows the fire crew, when polished brass helmets were still worn, passing the old Dalton police station during a carnival parade.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (17 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
- Mums turn tide in fight to keep vital Dalton aquanatal sessions afloat
- Dalton beer festival promises to be an ale and hearty affair (1 comment)
- South Cumbria primary school head’s homes plea rejected by planners
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs