Keeping the town safe from fire for decades
Published at 13:07, Friday, 03 December 2010
AS this week’s mystery picture was the fire station at Dalton, we have devoted the rest of the page to views through the ages linked to the town’s firefighters.
The earliest is from around 1902 and shows the old town hall with the double wooden doors on the right where the town’s fire engine was kept.
Around this time it is likely to have still been horse drawn so there would have been a piece of grazing and a stable nearby.
The fire engine would have been bought and staffed at the expense of Dalton people in an era where towns provided almost all their own services, including the building and running of schools and council house building.
The bottom picture shows the fire crew, when polished brass helmets were still worn, passing the old Dalton police station during a carnival parade.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Dalton Leisure centre full steam ahead after grant for boilers
- Dalton man pleads not guilty to dangerous driving
- Dalton woman who has 30 identities slams NHS healthcare failings (9 comments)
- Cumbria music festival hailed by organisers as the biggest yet
- Closed Dalton fire station will be sold to highest bidder
- Barrow council bosses in Dalton pub car park showdown
- Dalton zoo owner denies allowing animals to escape
- Dalton great-gran praises heroes who saved her from blazing kitchen (3 comments)
- Dalton makes an impression on visiting Britain in Bloom judges
- Planners to decide on controversial Dalton car park (4 comments)
- Dalton zoo standing tall in Trip Advisor’s top 10 (3 comments)
- Forces fundraising fun in Dalton marks anniversary of war
- Dalton woman charged with intimidating a witness
- Cumbria GP stresses importance of efficiency (1 comment)
- Owner learns of Dalton cat's fate today (4 comments)
- Appeal for information after woman assaulted in Dalton
- Fresh date for inquest into death of Dalton zoo tiger attack victim
- Dalton woman charged with benefit fraud faces trial
- Dalton rape accused in court
- Dalton fire station closes for final time after 140 years of service (3 comments)
- Sound of science appeals to Dalton school’s budding engineers
- Dalton health campaigner to stage protest outside health watchdog HQ
- Thousands enjoy Dalton carnival
- Dalton football club appeals for help after £3,000 attack by vandals
- Red letter day as 40 years of Dalton school are marked
Evening Mail homepage
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33