New Askam shoe factory creates nine jobs
Published at 01:00, Thursday, 08 April 2004
A NEW Furness factory making mail order shoes has created nine jobs and hopes to create 20 more.
Entrepreneur Mike Stables launched his Softwalker brand of footwear and a factory shop in the former K Shoes works in Askam.
Most of the shoe workers being taken on to make women’s shoes and sandals with a high-tech polyurethane soles, are former K Shoes and Furness Footwear workers.
Mr Stables aims to take on foreign competition with a range of shoes, which will be sold by mailshots and advertising.
Men’s shoes will follow if all goes to plan.
Mr Stables also employs 40 other staff making squeezy stressbusters and balls out of polyurethane for his Urofoam firm at the site
A group of nurses working at the Dane Garth mental health unit attached to Furness General Hospital have already given the Furness designed and made shoes the thumbs up after trying them out for six months.
Published by http://www.askamlocal.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Barrow council prosecutes in connection with zoo keeper death
- Business prosecuted in connection with zoo keeper killed by tiger
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open (1 comment)
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Deserving families enjoy Dreamnight adventure at South Lakes Safari Zoo (1 comment)
- Dalton girl is wheelie pleased after company buys her adapted trike
- Police investigate two Dalton burglaries - including car abandoned in Barrow (8 comments)
- Sterling effort to make Dalton artist face of £20 note (2 comments)
- Proud Dalton mum to help daughter get on her bike
- Dalton residents to share their vision for town’s future (1 comment)
- SLIDESHOW: South Cumbria pub's beer festival hailed as a success (2 comments)
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (18 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22