New Askam shoe factory creates nine jobs
Published at 01:00, Thursday, 08 April 2004
A NEW Furness factory making mail order shoes has created nine jobs and hopes to create 20 more.
Entrepreneur Mike Stables launched his Softwalker brand of footwear and a factory shop in the former K Shoes works in Askam.
Most of the shoe workers being taken on to make women’s shoes and sandals with a high-tech polyurethane soles, are former K Shoes and Furness Footwear workers.
Mr Stables aims to take on foreign competition with a range of shoes, which will be sold by mailshots and advertising.
Men’s shoes will follow if all goes to plan.
Mr Stables also employs 40 other staff making squeezy stressbusters and balls out of polyurethane for his Urofoam firm at the site
A group of nurses working at the Dane Garth mental health unit attached to Furness General Hospital have already given the Furness designed and made shoes the thumbs up after trying them out for six months.
Published by http://www.askamlocal.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (17 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
- Mums turn tide in fight to keep vital Dalton aquanatal sessions afloat
- Dalton beer festival promises to be an ale and hearty affair (1 comment)
- South Cumbria primary school head’s homes plea rejected by planners
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs