Residents fear accidents if zoo expansion allowed
Last updated at 13:10, Thursday, 04 August 2011
A PLANNED zoo expansion will put lives at risk unless it is amended, a resident has claimed.
Last week, Barrow Borough Council’s planning committee chose to reject plans for a large extension to be made to South Lakes Wild Animal Park.
Councillors made the decision that they were minded to refuse the plans after expressing fears about the size of the expansion and potential traffic problems, which they felt could be created by visitors accessing the park using Melton Terrace.
Angela Butcher, who has lived in the street for 13 years, was one of the residents who spoke at the meeting.
She said that although residents were not against the expansion, applied for by zoo boss David Gill, the current layout would create severe traffic problems in the area.
She said: “Not one resident has objected to Mr Gill’s expansion plans. It’s the accident blackspot that would be created if that junction is used that we are against.
“The committee made the right decision because the road is dangerous.
“The council have a duty to protect people and these plans put people at risk. There are going to be children killed if they use that road for access.
“It is already a problem, and I have had to call the emergency services for the last two accidents which took place there. I don’t want to have to go out there and find a child in the road.
“The councillors need to make sure that the road problems are properly addressed before they allow the expansion.”
Mrs Butcher added that she felt that the residents’ problems would be addressed if an access route was created off the nearby roundabout at Lindal.
However, Mr Gill has claimed that he does not have access to the land needed to create this exit, and he believes that this would create more traffic problems than the current plans.
He has also stated that he has spent over £100,000 and four years preparing the plans and that those presented are the safest possible.
A final decision on the plans will be made at the council’s next planning meeting on August 23.
First published at 13:22, Tuesday, 02 August 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
I cannot believe that in this day and economy that the council can reject this offer to increase the revenue in the area, people visiting the zoo will predominatly visit other parts as we ie dock museum and hey maybe even spend money in the desolite town centre which also needs as much help as it can, let the expansion go ahead but put control measures in place on the hill so the residents can also live safely. I personally cannot see the problem, as for kids getting hurt the parents need to look after them as well and not let them roam on the streets alone.
Let the Zoo expand and let everybody live a life.
Its no wonder Barrow/Dalton are seen as a third world areas,when you read the comments,you will never encourage Businesses to want to come here,you need Councils/locals to be receptive to change.
View all 11 comments on this article