Skaters ramp up support for new Dalton play area facilities
Last updated at 15:53, Tuesday, 31 August 2010
CHILDREN have thrown their weight behind plans for a skate park in Dalton.
A concrete skate park could be built as part of a £275,000 project to transform the play area on the site of Dalton Leisure Centre.
Members of Dalton’s skating community have welcomed the news.
Anthony English, 14, along with friends Dane Elleray, 11, Finbar Connell, 12, all from Dalton, and Gregg Brady, 14, of Barrow, regularly skate in the town centre.
Anthony said: “Whenever we skate in the car park, we get moved off by people who live here, because of the noise.
“To get the skate park would be great, because we wouldn’t have to travel all over just to go skating.
“It’s not just skateboarders that will benefit from it. It will be somewhere to go that is out of the public’s way.
“We literally have nowhere to go. We just keep getting kicked off places.
“I hope that if we get the skate park that people will carry on skating. It’s not going to be something we get bored with, either, we’ll be using it for a very long time.
“I can understand the residents’ concerns but we’re not going to be using it at a ridiculous time of night.”
Councillor Barry Doughty, of Dalton Town Council, says there is a desperate need for facilities for young people in the town.
Cllr Doughty said: “We have to find recreational facilities for people of all ages and there is a particular problem with skating in the town.
“People don’t want them skating on pavements or in car parks.
“If there is a skate park, as part of the facility and providing it is managed correctly, it should be win-win for residents and young people alike.
“If there are any objections from residents, they can speak to the young people or, if they wish, they can speak to me or the town council.”
l A public consultation meeting to discuss the plans for the multi use games area and potential skate park will take place in the Drill Hall in Nelson Street, Dalton, on Thursday at 6.30pm.
First published at 13:06, Tuesday, 31 August 2010
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Dalton news
- Barrow council prosecutes in connection with zoo keeper death
- Business prosecuted in connection with zoo keeper killed by tiger
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open (1 comment)
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Deserving families enjoy Dreamnight adventure at South Lakes Safari Zoo (1 comment)
- Dalton girl is wheelie pleased after company buys her adapted trike
- Police investigate two Dalton burglaries - including car abandoned in Barrow (8 comments)
- Sterling effort to make Dalton artist face of £20 note (2 comments)
- Proud Dalton mum to help daughter get on her bike
- Dalton residents to share their vision for town’s future (1 comment)
- SLIDESHOW: South Cumbria pub's beer festival hailed as a success (2 comments)
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (18 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Carlisle man jailed for pestering probation office worker
- Ann cruises off to new life after 20 years at the helm
- MP stands by his BAE Systems Barrow ‘Bahamas’ jibe (38 comments)
- LAP-DANCING AT TOWN NIGHTCLUB
- Four months for Barrow 999 phone pest
- Rock trio’s spring date
- Memories of Campbell’s lake speed attempts
- Names found for the classmates of 1952
- Judge the executioner
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22