Transformed church hosts carol service
Published at 16:13, Monday, 24 December 2012
PUPILS raised the roof at a Christmas carol service in a church transformed into a festive family attraction.
All the Year Seven pupils at Dowdales School in Dalton made the trip to the town’s St Mary’s Church last Tuesday.
In what is now an annual tradition, the church has been filled with Christmas trees decorated by local organisations, with each raising money for a charity.
Headteacher Julie O’Connor wrote in her school blog for December: “They sang well and listened intently, having learned about the service and carols in their music and religious studies lessons.
“The church is, of course, particularly beautiful at this time of year, decorated as it is with so many Christmas trees. Thanks go to the Reverend Allan Mitchell and the parish council for their help in organising this event and to Mrs Richardson, Mrs Bunter, Miss Donnelly and Mrs Crarey for their organisation in school.”
Later the same night, Dowdales was once more represented at the church when its chamber choir and Dowdales Jazz Band took part in a carol service organised in aid of St Mary’s Hospice in Ulverston.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
- Fundraising success on first night of Cumbria celebrity chef charity event
- Cumbria celebrity chef event ends with spectacular finale
- Police appeal after serious sexual offence in Dalton
- Dalton charity chef event aims to raise £100k
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
- Dalton Christmas Eve fireworks night pulls another cracker
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (11 comments)
- Dalton St Mary’s Christingle (1 comment)
- Dalton NatWest branch set to close (5 comments)