Transformed church hosts carol service
Published at 16:13, Monday, 24 December 2012
PUPILS raised the roof at a Christmas carol service in a church transformed into a festive family attraction.
All the Year Seven pupils at Dowdales School in Dalton made the trip to the town’s St Mary’s Church last Tuesday.
In what is now an annual tradition, the church has been filled with Christmas trees decorated by local organisations, with each raising money for a charity.
Headteacher Julie O’Connor wrote in her school blog for December: “They sang well and listened intently, having learned about the service and carols in their music and religious studies lessons.
“The church is, of course, particularly beautiful at this time of year, decorated as it is with so many Christmas trees. Thanks go to the Reverend Allan Mitchell and the parish council for their help in organising this event and to Mrs Richardson, Mrs Bunter, Miss Donnelly and Mrs Crarey for their organisation in school.”
Later the same night, Dowdales was once more represented at the church when its chamber choir and Dowdales Jazz Band took part in a carol service organised in aid of St Mary’s Hospice in Ulverston.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Barrow council prosecutes in connection with zoo keeper death
- Business prosecuted in connection with zoo keeper killed by tiger
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open (1 comment)
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Deserving families enjoy Dreamnight adventure at South Lakes Safari Zoo (1 comment)
- Dalton girl is wheelie pleased after company buys her adapted trike
- Police investigate two Dalton burglaries - including car abandoned in Barrow (8 comments)
- Sterling effort to make Dalton artist face of £20 note (2 comments)
- Proud Dalton mum to help daughter get on her bike
- Dalton residents to share their vision for town’s future (1 comment)
- SLIDESHOW: South Cumbria pub's beer festival hailed as a success (2 comments)
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (18 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- Opening date for first phase of Carlisle Airport redevelopment
- Obituary - Max De Redder, of Gilcrux
- Should the court system be bypassed for some offences?
- Testing smells at West Cumbria factory (4 comments)
- Lack of funding puts cable car scheme on hold
- Maryport music festival raised £1,500
- No title
- Church to host car boot sale
- Walking the wall for Will
- WWE star heading to Carlisle for wrestling bout
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22