Ulverston concentrating solely on the positives
Published at 15:47, Thursday, 16 April 2009
ALTHOUGH they found themselves in a lowly position in Division One last season, Ulverston chairman Alan Regan believes there were a lot of positives to take from it.
“We were only a couple of wins off being a mid-table side, which would have been great,” he said.
The Priory Road outfit will be looking to improve on their best-ever points total of 199 from last season.
The weather played a big part for a lot of clubs last year with rain-affected draws granting both teams nine points, something that Regan believes shaped the overall table.
“Last year the top three ran away with some massive points totals, so if we could have got a few more results, given the weather, then we could have been a few places higher,” he added.
Club captain Paul Storey will retain his position and he will look to help the squad develop.
Added to the ranks will be Steve Olliver, the former Furness wicketkeeper/batsman, who will bring some much-needed experience to an improving Ulverston side.
With that in mind, Regan has set his sights on improving from last year’s position.
“I don’t think mid-table would be unrealistic,” he said.
Club president Jack Rice shares the sentiment.
“I’d just like us to get off the bottom, that would be a significant improvement,” he added.
One of Ulverston’s best players, Gareth Yates, will be helping the club on and off the field.
The talented all-rounder will be doing his best to make sure Ulverston improve on the field and his partner’s hairdressing salon in Ulverston will be the main shirt sponsor.
All involved with the club appear optimistic as the future seems bright with a good crop of young players coming through the ranks.
Last Year: 11th in Division One and 12th in Division Two.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
- Fundraising success on first night of Cumbria celebrity chef charity event
- Cumbria celebrity chef event ends with spectacular finale
- Police appeal after serious sexual offence in Dalton
- Dalton charity chef event aims to raise £100k
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
- Dalton Christmas Eve fireworks night pulls another cracker
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (11 comments)
- Dalton St Mary’s Christingle (1 comment)
- Dalton NatWest branch set to close (5 comments)