US Republican politician Mitt Romney's Dalton heritage goes back to 1642
Last updated at 11:13, Monday, 19 December 2011
REPUBLICAN politician Willard Mitt Romney was born on March 12 in 1947 and this is how his Cumbrian family tree stretches back to 1642.
His father was former Governor of Michigan George Wilcken Romney, born in 1907, and his grandfather was Gaskell Romney who was born in 1871 and died in 1955.
Mitt’s great-grandfather was the architect Miles Park Romney who was born in Nauvoo, USA, on August 18 in 1843 and died in 1928.
He designed the Mormon Tabernacle in St George.
The first direct Dalton link comes with his great, great-grandfather Miles Romney.
He was born in Dalton on July 13 in 1806 and died in Utah on May 3 in 1877.
Miles had married Elizabeth Gaskell in 1830. She had been born in Dalton on January 8 in 1809 and died in Utah on October 11 in 1884.
Another generation back takes you to George Romney who was born in Dalton on July 29 in 1781 and who died in the town of his birth on July 18 in 1859. He married Sarah King.
Going back another generation gives us another George Romney who was born in Dalton on December 26 in 1738 and died there on June 17 in 1793.
He had married Eleanor Park at St Mary’s Church, Dalton, in February 1776 – the start of the American Revolution against British rule.
Another generation back takes us to Thomas Romney. He was born in Dalton in 1709 – during the reign of Queen Anne – and died there in 1776.
His father was another George Romney who was born at Colby, Appleby, in 1642.
He married Jane Burrow of Dalton and died in the Furness town in 1737 at the grand old age of 95.
Another of his sons gives us the link to the Dalton-born Georgian society painter George Romney.
Dalton carpenter John Romney lived from 1703 to 1778 and his son, who found fame in London but who was buried in Dalton, lived from 1734 to 1802.
First published at 13:06, Sunday, 18 December 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Parents launch campaign after Dalton aquanatal class funding is cut
- Thieves steal metal and blocks from listed Dalton house
- Dalton man attacked his grieving uncle while relative lay dead upstairs
- Dalton man's appeal against conviction for driving offence is abandoned
- South Cumbria florist designs display for royal ceremony
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
- Dalton pupils take part in Welly Walking Day
- Dalton school's sell-out production concludes tonight
- Double Michelin-starred chef to make chocolates for Dalton diners
- Masterclass from top chefs in Dalton for young chefs
- Fundraising success on first night of Cumbria celebrity chef charity event
- Cumbria celebrity chef event ends with spectacular finale
- Police appeal after serious sexual offence in Dalton
- Dalton charity chef event aims to raise £100k
- Chefs ensure Dalton fundraising event will be done in best possible taste
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Latest charity donation will benefit 1,000 people
- Dalton chefs event set to serve up charity aid
- South Cumbria wag to return to our screens in The Real Housewives of Cheshire
- Application made for 80 homes on land next to Dalton primary school (2 comments)
- Disposing of your Christmas tree in south Cumbria
- Dalton Christmas Eve fireworks night pulls another cracker
- MP backs call to save South Cumbria pub (11 comments)
- Dalton St Mary’s Christingle (1 comment)
- Dalton NatWest branch set to close (5 comments)
Evening Mail homepage
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school