US Republican politician Mitt Romney's Dalton heritage goes back to 1642
Last updated at 11:13, Monday, 19 December 2011
REPUBLICAN politician Willard Mitt Romney was born on March 12 in 1947 and this is how his Cumbrian family tree stretches back to 1642.
His father was former Governor of Michigan George Wilcken Romney, born in 1907, and his grandfather was Gaskell Romney who was born in 1871 and died in 1955.
Mitt’s great-grandfather was the architect Miles Park Romney who was born in Nauvoo, USA, on August 18 in 1843 and died in 1928.
He designed the Mormon Tabernacle in St George.
The first direct Dalton link comes with his great, great-grandfather Miles Romney.
He was born in Dalton on July 13 in 1806 and died in Utah on May 3 in 1877.
Miles had married Elizabeth Gaskell in 1830. She had been born in Dalton on January 8 in 1809 and died in Utah on October 11 in 1884.
Another generation back takes you to George Romney who was born in Dalton on July 29 in 1781 and who died in the town of his birth on July 18 in 1859. He married Sarah King.
Going back another generation gives us another George Romney who was born in Dalton on December 26 in 1738 and died there on June 17 in 1793.
He had married Eleanor Park at St Mary’s Church, Dalton, in February 1776 – the start of the American Revolution against British rule.
Another generation back takes us to Thomas Romney. He was born in Dalton in 1709 – during the reign of Queen Anne – and died there in 1776.
His father was another George Romney who was born at Colby, Appleby, in 1642.
He married Jane Burrow of Dalton and died in the Furness town in 1737 at the grand old age of 95.
Another of his sons gives us the link to the Dalton-born Georgian society painter George Romney.
Dalton carpenter John Romney lived from 1703 to 1778 and his son, who found fame in London but who was buried in Dalton, lived from 1734 to 1802.
First published at 13:06, Sunday, 18 December 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Dalton news
- Barrow council prosecutes in connection with zoo keeper death
- Business prosecuted in connection with zoo keeper killed by tiger
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open (1 comment)
- Ulverston man denies dangerous driving over death of Dalton teen
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Deserving families enjoy Dreamnight adventure at South Lakes Safari Zoo (1 comment)
- Dalton girl is wheelie pleased after company buys her adapted trike
- Police investigate two Dalton burglaries - including car abandoned in Barrow (8 comments)
- Sterling effort to make Dalton artist face of £20 note (2 comments)
- Proud Dalton mum to help daughter get on her bike
- Dalton residents to share their vision for town’s future (1 comment)
- SLIDESHOW: South Cumbria pub's beer festival hailed as a success (2 comments)
- Former marine's Dalton gym plan approved
- Chance to talk to the animals at Dalton zoo
- Pub near Dalton resurrects popular ale festival
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Police hunt Dalton vandal who vomited on car
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Girls put best foot forward in Dalton for cancer cause
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (18 comments)
- ‘No guarantee of extra funds whoever wins’ - Dalton doctor
- Police appeal for information after car was damaged in Dalton
- Dalton school wins prize for mastering art of teaching religion
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival (1 comment)
Evening Mail homepage
- LITTLE LISA’S BIG CHANCE
- Carlisle man jailed for pestering probation office worker
- Ann cruises off to new life after 20 years at the helm
- MP stands by his BAE Systems Barrow ‘Bahamas’ jibe (38 comments)
- Co-op’s shoppers sharing £124,000 Christmas bonus
- Dad who died after attack 'not unlawfully killed'
- Handy contacts in the travel industry
- Drivers walk for heroes
- LAP-DANCING AT TOWN NIGHTCLUB
- CID boss had spell in Northern Ireland
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22